Question:

Question: Activity GPS issues after watchOS 7 and iOS 14 updates

This morning I upgraded my iPhone XS Max to iOS 14 and my S4 Watch to watchOS 7. I then went for a run, using the Outdoor Run activity on my Watch as usual, holding my iPhone while I ran (as I was listening to a podcast with AirPods). When I finished, everything was recorded as normal, and I could sync the activity to Strava.

Later, I went for a walk. I used the Outdoor Walk activity on my Watch, but this time didn't take my iPhone. When I returned, and attempted to upload the activity to Strava, I received a warning that no GPS/route data was present. I checked the Fitness and Health apps, and sure enough, there was no route on the map - only the starting point.

I spoke to someone at Apple Support and they suggested I turned off/back on a couple of related privacy settings. I have since tried another Outdoor Walk activity, without the phone present, and the problem persists - no GPS/route data.

My wife also tried the same this evening, after upgrading her iPhone X and S4 Watch too. She had the same results - i.e. with just the Watch, no GPS/route information was saved with the activity.

This seems like a bug to me. Has anyone else experienced the same issue, or has any suggestions as to how to fix it?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 7

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Sep 19, 2020 7:56 PM in response to Hageltjes In response to Hageltjes

Exact same issue. The unpair/reset/re-pair did not resolve it. Called Apple support. They confirmed it's an issue and said engineering was working on a fix. For me, the issue didn't impact workouts that were recorded prior to the upgrade though.

Sep 21, 2020 5:15 AM in response to MaccyAd In response to MaccyAd

Okay - I have just got off the phone with a (very helpful) Apple Health technician.

It IS a known bug, and they are currently working on a fix. They are confident that no pre-upgrade data has been lost (even where it's not currently showing), but aren't sure if the stuff recorded since upgrade will contain the GPS track once the bug is squished.

No timeline for a fix currently, as the fix is in active development, but hopefully very soon.

He added that his phone/watch is having exactly the same issue...

Sep 19, 2020 5:40 AM in response to Hageltjes In response to Hageltjes

I have the same issue since upgrading to watchOS7 with my Apple Watch Series 4 and iPhone 8 Plus ios14. Recorded an outdoor run with Watch only and no GPS map data is available, only the starting point. Nevertheless all other metrics like distance, elevation gain etc. seem to be correct. I also recorded an outdoor cycle with my Apple Watch + having my iPhone with me and experienced the same behaviour. No GPS data available in the activity.

Check already all privacy settings on Phone and Watch, turned off and on location services - unfortunately no change.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Sep 19, 2020 5:40 AM in response to Hageltjes In response to Hageltjes

I have the same issue since upgrading to watchOS7 with my Apple Watch Series 4 and iPhone 8 Plus ios14. Recorded an outdoor run with Watch only and no GPS map data is available, only the starting point. Nevertheless all other metrics like distance, elevation gain etc. seem to be correct. I also recorded an outdoor cycle with my Apple Watch + having my iPhone with me and experienced the same behaviour. No GPS data available in the activity.

Check already all privacy settings on Phone and Watch, turned off and on location services - unfortunately no change.

Sep 19, 2020 5:40 AM

Reply Helpful (5)

Sep 19, 2020 8:39 AM in response to Hageltjes In response to Hageltjes

The software for both my phone and watch stink. Try sending a new message from your phone, you have to create the message then HOPE they send it to the right person, not good, I cancelled my new watch because they clearly hire a bunch of old Microsoft engineers who change things to make them more complicated so they can continue to work on a new version to fix it. But on point,,,same issue no fix

Sep 19, 2020 8:39 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Sep 19, 2020 10:41 AM in response to Hageltjes In response to Hageltjes

iPhone Xs updated to v14, S4 Watch updated to watchOS 7.

Did a Outdoor cycle open goal workout today and after getting back I noticed exactly the same issue :(

As a matter of fact, I went on the ride with my father and his S3 watch (also updated to WatchOS 7 just this morning) experience the same issue.

Only start point being recorded on map, rest of the metrics (like heart rate, speeds and distances seem OK though).

Sep 19, 2020 10:41 AM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: Hageltjes

Question: Activity GPS issues after watchOS 7 and iOS 14 updates