Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

watchOS 7 Battery Drain

I updated my series 4 Apple Watch to WatchOS 7 today. I use my watch all day and usually have about 30% battery left when I go to bed and start changing. Today my phone got to 10% by 2:30 pm! Why is this drawing so quickly?

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 2:59 PM

874 replies

Sep 21, 2020 8:01 AM in response to dmkleist

• My fellow iWatch users: please submit a problem report about this BATTERY DRAIN PROBLEM here https://www.apple.com/feedback in high numbers so we can get the attention of Apple Engineers and get this resolved. Be sure to mention the iWatch OS 7 as the catalyst. It isn’t an available selection in the drop down menu so just write it in the subject line; in addition copy and paste a link to this thread in your comments. In my experience apple will only take notice in a new issue if mass numbers start to report it.

Sep 18, 2020 10:03 AM in response to dmkleist

I have same issue. No battery at all after 3/4 of the day. Normally lasts all day with some spare. So... I have checked in General / Background App Refresh / ... and everything is turned on! I am certain it wasn't before. I am trying to turn off all but the ones I think are necessary. I will report on the result as soon as I can!

Sep 17, 2020 7:33 PM in response to dmkleist

Same problem here. After updating to watchos 7, the battery life went down a lot. I went for a run in the afternoon like most times and the battery died on me mid workout. This never happend before, I never had to pay attention to the battery life. I tried sleep tracking. I charged it before going to bed, slept 6 hours and the batery was down at 70% in the morning... I hope they fix it soon, but until then nobody should update.

Sep 18, 2020 5:44 AM in response to dmkleist

Same issue for me. Came to the community to see if others are experiencing the same. Series 4 also. I updated yesterday and since then I am charging my watch now for the 4th time! In a bit over 24 hours.

I walk about 10000 steps daily and after all that and all day use my watch before I charge it was always around 40%. Yesterday I had to charge it twice! Once during the day and once before I go to sleep so I can use sleep tracking and today, it’s 1pm and I’m already charging it for the second time in the day! In the morning it went from 100% to 32% just by me sitting at my desk working from home. In a matter of 4hours or so.

Im hoping for a quick fix with 7.1

Sep 21, 2020 8:00 AM in response to jesseuriah

It seems I was able to fix the issue and I’d like to share with everyone on how that happened.

initially I unpaired and then paired again using my last save but the problem persisted.

so last night I unpaired and then paired again but this time as a new watch. Today I wore my watch at 8 am, it is now 3:30 pm have done my workout, close 2/3 rings and it is still over 80% so it seems the issue is fixed.

it’s a hassle having to create every single watch face again, set every card in pay etc but at least I don’t have to charge it 3 times a day!

Hope this helps anyone who has the same trouble the last couple of days. :)

Oct 1, 2020 9:30 PM in response to dmkleist

It looks unpair/pair solution does not work for all AW4. My model is MU6L2FD/A. watchOS 7.0.1 (18R395)

I have done it six times, and it haven’t solved battery drain.

I always pair as new watch.

I performed the following tests:

• use the watch during workout
  • use the watch w/o any activities, only working on the computer.
  • left the watch on the desk during the night
  • left the watching the desk during the night in flight mode
  • unpair /pair when the watch was on the charger and on my wrist.
  • reset the watch
  • unpair/pair with iOS 14 and 14.0.1 the watchOS is 7.0.1

I found the battery drain speed is constant in all cases.

It seems the watch processor works at maximum power all the time.

It doesn’t look to be so difficult for watch development team to find the issue and fix it.

Dec 14, 2020 11:59 AM in response to dmkleist

I had the same problem and I tried the following:

• Watch and iPhone force restart and repairing
  • Removing all apps and complications
  • Switching watch faces (hoping that some of them less battery hungry)
  • Disabling "Background App Refresh" - it's used to minimize battery drain for me
  • Disabling "Raise Wrist to Wake Screen"

No matter what, my Watch was running out of battery after 8 hours standby and even faster under workout or similar.

The only thing that helped me is Watch > Settings > GeneralReset > Erase All Content and Settings. After doing erase I reinstalled apps manually and restored previous face (Infograph Modular) and now my watch survives ~2 days as it used to.

The following screenshot is taken with battery level = 57%, so I expect it to run in standby mode 18 hours more.

Sep 20, 2020 6:13 PM in response to dmkleist

I’ve done a bit to resolve this to no end. After upgrading to 7 I’ve had huge battery drain on my watch the same as everyone else.

So far turned off all the usual suspects:

• background updates
  • wash hands app
  • location services for some apps such as weather and clock

What I have noticed is that overnight it barely discharge compared to during the day.

A normal day for me is the following:

• charge to 100% each night before bed
  • start sleep app when I turn the light out
  • put into airplane mode
  • when I wake up battery is about 85%
  • turn off airplane mode and sleep app
  • lose 7-8% battery per hour. 4 hrs after I woke up this morning and it’s now 54%

It seems the only thing I can do if I want a decent day of life is to put into airplane mode for most of the day and turn it off when I do a workout.

watchOS 7 Battery Drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.