Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos sync between Mac and iCloud

I have Nikon which I can upload the photos to my Photos Library on my Mac. I also have photos on my iPhone that is also in iCloud Photos. How do I sync them so I have Nikon Photos and my iPhone photos in one place and in albums in iCloud as well as Photos Library on the Mac.

If I create an album in iCloud with all my iPhone photos, can that be synced with Photos Library on the Mac?

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 3:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 9:03 PM

To sync your Mac with iCloud Photos:

In System Preferences, make sure you are logged into the same Apple ID that the iPhone uses.

Open the library you want to sync in Photos (if it is not already open).

In Photos > Preferences > General, make sure that the text "Use as System Photo Library" in the button on the right under "Library Location" is dimmed (harder to read than "Show in Finder" in the button to its left). If it is not, click on the "Use as System Photo Library" button.

In Photos > Preferences > iCloud, make sure "iCloud Photos" is checked.

Assuming you have room for all of your photos and videos in the library, you probably want to have "Download Originals to this Mac" is checked.

Photos on the Mac should start uploading to iCloud any photos and videos in its library (attempting to avoid creating exact duplicates) to iCloud Photos along with the folder and album structure; they should then be downloaded to the other device(s). After the Photos on the Mac has finished the upload, it should start downloading any photos and videos that are in iCloud Photos but not in the Mac's Photos library. Depending on how many photos and videos you have on each device and the speed of your internet link, this might take quite a while (hours, days, even weeks).

After this initial mass upload and download, the libraries on the Mac, on the iPhone, in the cloud, and on any other devices linked to iCloud Photos with the same Apple ID should remain in sync, propagating additions, edits, and deletions as necessary.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2020 9:03 PM in response to rpillai45241

To sync your Mac with iCloud Photos:

In System Preferences, make sure you are logged into the same Apple ID that the iPhone uses.

Open the library you want to sync in Photos (if it is not already open).

In Photos > Preferences > General, make sure that the text "Use as System Photo Library" in the button on the right under "Library Location" is dimmed (harder to read than "Show in Finder" in the button to its left). If it is not, click on the "Use as System Photo Library" button.

In Photos > Preferences > iCloud, make sure "iCloud Photos" is checked.

Assuming you have room for all of your photos and videos in the library, you probably want to have "Download Originals to this Mac" is checked.

Photos on the Mac should start uploading to iCloud any photos and videos in its library (attempting to avoid creating exact duplicates) to iCloud Photos along with the folder and album structure; they should then be downloaded to the other device(s). After the Photos on the Mac has finished the upload, it should start downloading any photos and videos that are in iCloud Photos but not in the Mac's Photos library. Depending on how many photos and videos you have on each device and the speed of your internet link, this might take quite a while (hours, days, even weeks).

After this initial mass upload and download, the libraries on the Mac, on the iPhone, in the cloud, and on any other devices linked to iCloud Photos with the same Apple ID should remain in sync, propagating additions, edits, and deletions as necessary.

Sep 17, 2020 9:29 PM in response to rpillai45241

I don't know how your Nikon camera or Nikon Photos software add photos to your Photos Library, but if they use the normal methods, it won't affect the following explanation.

If both your iPhone and your Mac are connected to iCloud Photos on the same Apple ID, all of your photos on either device will be synced to appear on both. Future additions, edits, and deletions on either device will be propagated to the cloud and then to your other device(s). No special album is required (or possible, in the sense you mean).

Photos sync between Mac and iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.