Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14 compatibility El Capitan?

Hi I'm curious as to whether iOS 14 is compatible with El Capitan 10.11.6 with iTunes 12.8.2.3

I've looked for this online but would like to confirm whether iOS 14 is compatible for sycing my iPhone SE 2 with El Capitan and I also have a 6th Generation iPad this would apply too.

The information I can find seems to suggest no, though when i plug either device into my mac the first thing it asks me is whether I would like to install iOS 14 on either of my devices.

This seems to contradict that that it is incompatible, as the update shouldn't show in iTunes if it's not compatible should it?

iPhone SE

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 8:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 10:12 AM

I too ran into this issue (and I should have known better - I ran into the same iOS/MacOS/iTunes compatibility issues with iOS 12 & 13).

Good news - though.

Things are working.

iTunes/El Cap are finally seeing my iPhone (6s) that is running iOS 14.

In my experience:

• I installed iOS 14 to my phone via WiFi (as opposed to thru my Mac / iTunes).
  • when I subsequently plugged my iPhone into my Mac, I received a message on my Mac saying a download/installation my needed for my phone (a patch of some sort - perhaps?).
  • I let my Mac execute the download/installation.
  • when I unplugged/plugged my iPhone back into my Mac, iTunes automatically launched - but my iPhone still did not populate.
  • so - I powered my iPhone down and quit iTunes. Then, I plugged by iPhone back in (which powered my iPhone it back up), I unlocked my iPhone - and this all again caused iTunes to launch.
  • this time, I walked away and came back after about 10 minutes and - ta-da! - my iPhone populated in iTunes.

Whew!

So . . . hopefully you're getting that download/install window when plugging your iPhone into your Mac. Go with that, then power it down, then plug it back in and give it some time.

Good luck - and let me know how it goes. If you're successful, I'll spread the word. We're surely not the only ones.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2020 10:12 AM in response to Peter Miller

I too ran into this issue (and I should have known better - I ran into the same iOS/MacOS/iTunes compatibility issues with iOS 12 & 13).

Good news - though.

Things are working.

iTunes/El Cap are finally seeing my iPhone (6s) that is running iOS 14.

In my experience:

• I installed iOS 14 to my phone via WiFi (as opposed to thru my Mac / iTunes).
  • when I subsequently plugged my iPhone into my Mac, I received a message on my Mac saying a download/installation my needed for my phone (a patch of some sort - perhaps?).
  • I let my Mac execute the download/installation.
  • when I unplugged/plugged my iPhone back into my Mac, iTunes automatically launched - but my iPhone still did not populate.
  • so - I powered my iPhone down and quit iTunes. Then, I plugged by iPhone back in (which powered my iPhone it back up), I unlocked my iPhone - and this all again caused iTunes to launch.
  • this time, I walked away and came back after about 10 minutes and - ta-da! - my iPhone populated in iTunes.

Whew!

So . . . hopefully you're getting that download/install window when plugging your iPhone into your Mac. Go with that, then power it down, then plug it back in and give it some time.

Good luck - and let me know how it goes. If you're successful, I'll spread the word. We're surely not the only ones.

Oct 14, 2020 11:18 AM in response to greezles

I am needing to update a software when I plugin my iphone 11pro via usb but I am not doing it again because the first time I did it it ruined my imovie and caused not to export any of my projects causing an error. So i spent time figuring out how to make my imovie work again please see discussion here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251916124

Now my question is, does anyone of you who updated the software from your phone to your mac had an issue with imovie?

Oct 29, 2020 9:54 AM in response to GlenMunoz

Thanks so much for these instructions.

I'm running MacOS El Capitan 10.11.6, with iTunes 12.8.2.3 installed, and I was having trouble connecting my iPhone 7 running OS 14.1. The fix for me was slightly different - I just had to download and reinstall iTunes while my iPhone was connected to my Macbook!

As soon as the 'Install iTunes.pkg' had run an iPhone 'Software Update' window appeared on my Mac, which then installed in a few minutes. When I then opened iTunes the iPhone appeared connected as normal (and I did not lose any iTunes data due to the reinstall)!

The difference to your scenario:

When plugging my iPhone into the Macbook the iPhone would charge, and the Macbook Photos app automatically opened and recognised the iPhone, prompting me to sync the pictures from the phone, but I couldn't get that iPhone 'Software Update' window to show on the Macbook, even when I opened iTunes - while the phone completely failed to appear in iTunes.

I opened the 'iTunes' Unix executable from /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/ in Terminal, and it stated the following error:

BootedOS device needs updated MobileDevice.framework; ignoring device

ATHostConnectionDestroy 0x7f80362119b0

This site provided the reinstall fix suggestion after similar issues were reported with IOS12 and High Sierra compatability.

Thanks again

Sep 21, 2020 3:05 PM in response to GlenMunoz

Come to think of it, I did get a funky download/install window - but it never seemed to do anything. I'm patient though, so apparently I must have waited long enough! LOL So yesterday, I had no luck so I shut down the computer. I read your message later and just booted up my old iMac, hooked in my iPhone and launched iTunes (I don't have it set to automatically start iTunes or Photos when I connect it.) Sure enough, when I launched iTunes today, it showed up and connected after 30 or so seconds - so I'm a happy camper again. I alst tested Photos and it showed up in there as well.

So, I guess it still works.... for now! Thanks!

Sep 29, 2020 1:45 PM in response to GlenMunoz

Yep - worked for me on my old MBP 2009 with El Capitan and latest iTunes for that (12.8.2.3) - as you say, allow the download/installation from the popup (this didn't happen until I had rebooted and plugged the phone in (iTunes was not running) - I started iTunes afterwards and the phone appeared. (Photos had been recognising the iPhone 8 all along, btw). Thanks.

iOS 14 compatibility El Capitan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.