You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can my macOS Catalina 10.15.3 work with Numbers and Excel?

Can my version Mac OS 10.15.3 work with Numbers and modify an existing Excel document?

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 6:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 9:54 AM

Opening an Excel document in Numbers translates it into a Numbers document, leaving the original untouched. Any modifications you make will be in that new .numbers file & will not appear in the original Excel document. You will need to use File > Export To > Excel… to have changes appear in an Excel file. Be aware than the translation process between Numbers & Excel is not perfect as there are many differences in the was the two programs work. Your best bet for working with Office documents is to use Microsoft Office for Mac or the free LibreOffice.

Also, I suggest you update Catalina to the current version, 10.15.6, using System Preferences > Software Update.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 18, 2020 9:54 AM in response to KingScrap7009

Opening an Excel document in Numbers translates it into a Numbers document, leaving the original untouched. Any modifications you make will be in that new .numbers file & will not appear in the original Excel document. You will need to use File > Export To > Excel… to have changes appear in an Excel file. Be aware than the translation process between Numbers & Excel is not perfect as there are many differences in the was the two programs work. Your best bet for working with Office documents is to use Microsoft Office for Mac or the free LibreOffice.

Also, I suggest you update Catalina to the current version, 10.15.6, using System Preferences > Software Update.

Can my macOS Catalina 10.15.3 work with Numbers and Excel?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.