Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blood oxygen app not working on Apple Watch

I just set up my Apple Watch Series 6. I see the bood oxygen app on the watch. It tells me to go to the watch app on my iPhone to set it up. I cannot find a setup for blood oxygen on my iPhone or in the watch app on my iPhone. Have I missed something or is there a problem getting this to show up?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 8:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 11:25 AM

I called support. They elevated this to have their engineers look at it. More than a few people are having the same problem. When I first set up my watch, the Blood Oxygen app and altimeter complication were there. The altimeter worked but the Blood Oxygen app didn't. I restarted the watch and they both disappeared. I can't find the Blood Oxygen app on the watch store on my watch. Using the watch app on my iPhone to look in the app store, it shows up but says it can only be loaded from the watch. Tried sending a link to the app from my phone to my watch using messages. The app appeared on my watch when I clicked the link. GET was grayed out and above it said, "You must have an iPhone." Another thing I noticed is that in watch settings, scrolling works once. When you enter a setting category, it stops working. I am also unable to get my mac to use my watch to unlock apps. It keeps telling me it can't find my watch.

62 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2020 11:25 AM in response to William Ferguson

I called support. They elevated this to have their engineers look at it. More than a few people are having the same problem. When I first set up my watch, the Blood Oxygen app and altimeter complication were there. The altimeter worked but the Blood Oxygen app didn't. I restarted the watch and they both disappeared. I can't find the Blood Oxygen app on the watch store on my watch. Using the watch app on my iPhone to look in the app store, it shows up but says it can only be loaded from the watch. Tried sending a link to the app from my phone to my watch using messages. The app appeared on my watch when I clicked the link. GET was grayed out and above it said, "You must have an iPhone." Another thing I noticed is that in watch settings, scrolling works once. When you enter a setting category, it stops working. I am also unable to get my mac to use my watch to unlock apps. It keeps telling me it can't find my watch.

Sep 18, 2020 8:35 PM in response to William Ferguson

The setup for Blood Oxygen on your iPhone should be under the Browse tab, then tap Respiratory > Blood Oxygen > Set up Blood Oxygen.

See Measuring your blood oxygen levels with the Blood Oxygen app on Apple Watch Series 6 - Apple Support for more information on setting up Blood Oximetry on your new Apple Watch Series 6.

Hope you're enjoying the new Watch!

Sep 23, 2020 8:44 AM in response to William Ferguson

Hi William,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand you’re having issues setting up the Blood Oxygen app on your Apple Watch Series 6 and have some information and resources that may help!

Please open the Watch app on your paired companion iPhone. Scroll down and tap Blood Oxygen and then tap Enable. You’ll want to follow the prompts that appear to complete the setup process. You can read further details about this under “How to use the Blood Oxygen app” from this resource:

Measuring your blood oxygen levels with the Blood Oxygen app on Apple Watch Series 6

If you don’t see the Blood Oxygen feature in the Watch app on your iPhone, check the following:

Make sure you’re using an Apple Watch Series 6. You can use the steps here to identify which model you have: 

Identify your Apple Watch

Make sure you’re not running a beta version of either iOS or watchOS. Go to Settings > General > About on both devices and view Version. If you’re running the beta of iOS 14.2 or watchOS 7.1 the Blood Oxygen feature will not be supported on your Apple Watch. The Seed release of iOS 14 also will not work, you will need to have the non-Seed, final release of iOS 14.0 to use Blood Oxygen at this time.

You can use the steps here to remove the beta iOS:

How to uninstall iOS beta software

If you’re on the watchOS beta, the Blood Oxygen feature will be enabled in a future release. 

Thanks!

Sep 22, 2020 7:56 AM in response to William Ferguson

Reply from smashedphone.co.uk

One of clients came in yesterday with this issue and we resolved it.

Here's how:

The client could not see blood Oxygen in the list.

You should see it directly under 'Audio books'.

The client had a public beta v14.2 installed on their iPhone and this is buggy and doesn't have blood oxygen included in the Apple watch iPhone App.

1. I uninstalled the client's beta profile.
  2. I downloaded the IOS14 Gold Master from the web. In this case I used IPSW.me
  3. I attempted to install the IOS14 18A373 in this case using ITUNES. The only option itunes gave me was to wipe and restore my clinets iPhone.
  4. I used a program called iMazing which I already have, to re-install the IOS 14 GM. I think other programs are out there too but I have been using this one for years.
  5. I connected the iPhone to the PC, then asked the program to re-install the IOS14 GM.
  6. It put the iPhone into restore mode and all I had to do was browse to the downloaded file from ISPW.me in this case in my downloads folder and sit back until it finished.
  7. There is also an option to restore without wiping by downloading IOS 14 from Apples own servers.

Jon done!

Sep 21, 2020 5:35 AM in response to William Ferguson

I have the same issue (iPhone 11 Pro with Apple Watch Series 6)

After the initial setup, the Blood Oxygen App was there, when I opened it, it told me to continue on my iPhone. Went to the health app, Respiratory, Blood Oxygen, but the setup screen never appeared. I used to have a Withings Pulse that also read my blood oxygen level, so my Health app already had a data source for that. (Imported from the Withings Health app), I wonder if that prevents the Blood Oxygen wizard to appear, since there already was data there.

Removed the Blood Oxygen app from my watch and tried to get it back (can't find it in Watch App store, can't install it from phone)...

Sep 21, 2020 7:05 PM in response to William Ferguson

Check for an update.

I had this issue aswell. I was on the iOS14 developer beta 8. A day before iOS 14 released, I removed the beta profile and it relaunched my phone. I assumed I was on the GM build of iOS 14.

I assume I was not, because I checked for an update and there was one for me. So I assume I was still on a beta build without knowing it.

I can see the blood oxygen app in the apple watch app now.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Sep 21, 2020 7:24 PM in response to Wayazo

Sorry for confusion. September 15th, I saw that people were saying if you remove the beta profile (i was on beta 8) that you get the finaly build of iOS 14 a day early. I removed the beta profile from my device. My phone rebooted. I thought that meant I was on the final build. For reference I did this: https://youtu.be/Zv_H_ichUmM?t=69. This is the video that make me assume I was on GM.

I just got my watch today and didn't see blood oxygen. I checked for a software update and saw that iOS 14 was waiting for me there. I just updated and now I can see blood oxygen. I think what I just downloaded was GM.

Sep 24, 2020 7:19 AM in response to blainek17

I uninstalled beta off my phone and watch before purchasing another watch -series 6. It does not show the BO feature in the watch app - though there is an icon. When icon pressed it says to open up health app and set it up there. It is not in the Health app. I did a restore of phone, and nothing changed - same thing continues to happen. Is there a way to know if I have the seed release of ios 14? Settings say I have ios 14.2 and ios 7.0 on watch.

Sep 24, 2020 7:36 AM in response to basecampmason

Hey, when I bought the series 6, it came with watchOS 7 installed and by the time it came in the mail on Monday the 21st, my phone had already been installed with iOS 14.2 beta 1. What I did to get the blood oxygen feature (also ironing out what seemed like sync issues between phone and watch) was first off downgrade using an IPSW file back to iOS 14. So I lost a week worth of iCloud storage crap I’ll never get back. Oh well. Afterward, I unpaired the watch with the phone, erased it clean and reinstalled watchOS 7. Worked perfectly since then, well worth it.

Sep 24, 2020 8:40 AM in response to kyle290

Well, unfortunately for me, I waited after paring the watch to my iPhone. I had a watch beta profile installed. It installed 7.1 on my watch and that, for me, seems to be the problem. I downgraded my iPhone from 14.2 to 14.0 and it still didn't work. Apple says I have to send the watch back to them to have it rolled back to watch OS 7.0. I won't make this mistake again.

Blood oxygen app not working on Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.