Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Health shows 1.61TB of disk space, can't backup now!

I tried to make a backup of my iPhone through finder today and it is telling me there's not enough storage on my Mac Pro, which is not true. Going through my iPhone storage it is saying my Health app is using 1.61TB, which is ridiculous because the phone is only 256GB, so something is corrupted or there's a bug in iOS14.

I can not restore from my Finder backup because it is from iOS 13.7. This is a big problem. Apple says it might be a bug and they are going talk to engineers. 

Anyone have any clues on how I can fix this without resorting to erasing the phone and losing my data. I do not wish to delete any of the health data I have collected over the past 6 years.

Seems a few others are having this problem as I posted this is Macrumors too.

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 5:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 2:42 PM

Hi Abeasom, Apple Engineering came back and said they are working on a fix to resolve this issue but it will take some time. They said the only way to quickly fix the current problem is to back the data, reset the phone and restore from the backup. Unfortunately I could not take a backup on my Macbook, as I do not have enough space. So, I purchased a 50gb icloud backup for $0.99, backed up my data on to the icloud, reset my phone, restored the data from icloud and cancelled the icloud backup subscription service. Hope this helps.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2020 2:42 PM in response to Iphone10_user

Hi Abeasom, Apple Engineering came back and said they are working on a fix to resolve this issue but it will take some time. They said the only way to quickly fix the current problem is to back the data, reset the phone and restore from the backup. Unfortunately I could not take a backup on my Macbook, as I do not have enough space. So, I purchased a 50gb icloud backup for $0.99, backed up my data on to the icloud, reset my phone, restored the data from icloud and cancelled the icloud backup subscription service. Hope this helps.

Nov 2, 2020 4:18 AM in response to abeasom

I got tired of waiting for Apple to resolve this. To be honest, I truthfully don't believe they care anymore. Their fix is to erase the phone and restore from a backup if you have one or start over as new. I few weeks ago I decided to erase my phone and restore from my old 13.7 backup. It bricked the phone. I went to the Apple store and they gave me a replacement XS Max and even though it had iOS14 on it, they said I would have no problem restoring from my 13.7 backup. So I restored from that backup and at some point during the system restore it updated the phone to iOS14 and it worked just fine. No more Health data bug showing an exorbitant amount of data used.

So, I can confirm this will fix this issue, if you choose to restore from an older backup. I wouldn't wait for Apple to fix it anymore. There's more important things for them to do like make more emojis and help people wash their hands.

Nov 2, 2020 4:02 AM in response to Iphone10_user

This hasn’t worked. I backed up my 1.6tb phone onto my laptop and when I tried restoring to iPhone 12 pro, it bricked. No way of factory resetting. Im planning to return the phone for a new one since 3+ hour phone call won’t resolve the issue. Also if you try iCloud backup, the minimum amount is likely to be 11gb. More than double the 5 gb free storage. I asked for a solution and was told repeatedly “just pay the $1”. It’s not about the money. But if Apple wants it to be.. I smell class action

Health shows 1.61TB of disk space, can't backup now!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.