Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Square" option, iPhone Xr camera, ios 14 install

I can't find the "square" option on my iPhone Xr camera since ios 14 install. Is it gone?

iPhone XR

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 3:45 AM

Hello, the camera UI has changed with iOS 14. Apple also added a new photo dimension(16:9).

Please follow the below steps to take the pictures in Square mode in iOS 14

Open Camera.

Select Photo mode and Swipe up on the screen.

Tap the ratio option(4:3) and choose the Square option.

Thanks you.

Divy.

[Edited by Moderator]

15 replies

Nov 5, 2020 9:51 AM in response to pogo2299

I’m in agreement with Mardg. I use this format PRIMARILY and to have to go through all those steps is time consuming when you’re trying to capture something quickly. PLEASE bring this back. All the new options are great but the square format is basic (especially for those of us who used to use medium format cameras). Something that is odd - my sisters phone didn’t eliminate the square option after she upgraded. She has an X, I have an XS.

Nov 6, 2020 7:56 AM in response to rcpatten

rcpatten wrote:

That’s only true if you’re using the IG button to take and automatically post a shot- not taking a bunch of shots, and later choosing from those which to post.
The automatic square format made it significantly easier to frame your subjects as you go.

I never take pictures through IG. I always select them from my library. IG automatically "squares" them. It usually takes about 2 seconds to adjust (if required).

Nov 6, 2020 6:47 PM in response to oppnhmr

I’m so annoyed!!

I use that all the time and who wants a camera that’s not ready when you’re ready to shoot a picture

that feature was there when I bought my phone and you have no right to downgrade the camera in my phone. Hmmm guessing this is Apples way of forcing people into an upgraded phone

Also you have made this phone increasingly more difficult to use in other areas too!! Updates should streamline the functions of a phone NOT complicate it

"Square" option, iPhone Xr camera, ios 14 install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.