Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air (2020) doesn't play sound through the TV

Its about my new MacBook Air (2020) with OS 10.15.6 Catalina).

I did System Preferences > Sound > Output > select SHARP HDMI (which is my TV). The TV shows the video image but sounds only comes out from my Mac. When I select SHARP HDIM at the pull down menu of the Sound icon in the menu bar, the Sound Icon turns to gray out -- but when I select MacBook Air Speakers, the Sound icon returns to black. I use QGeeM USB C to HDMI Adapter 4K Cable to connect to HDMI slot on my SHARP TV. I did "plug-out Thunderbolt > turn off TV > plug-in > Turn on TV .... kind of thing, the situation is still the same. I should mention that the TV and its HDMI slot should be healthy because, when I use my another Mac, which is MacBook Air (2015, OS 10.14.6 Mojave) and has mini-displayport, to connect to the same TV via the Mini-display/HDM, there is no problem. Help me.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 6:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 8:31 PM

I suspect the problem is the dock. That dock claims to support dual displays, but it doesn’t (you can connect two, but they can only be mirrored). It would not surprise my if the dock doesn’t support audio over HDMI. I’d suggest getting a simple USB-C to HDMI cable or adapter and using that (or a proper dock like those from Elgato, OWC, Brydge, or Kensington but those run over $200; there is the Brydge Stone (non-Pro, single display) for $130).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2020 8:31 PM in response to Yyymma

I suspect the problem is the dock. That dock claims to support dual displays, but it doesn’t (you can connect two, but they can only be mirrored). It would not surprise my if the dock doesn’t support audio over HDMI. I’d suggest getting a simple USB-C to HDMI cable or adapter and using that (or a proper dock like those from Elgato, OWC, Brydge, or Kensington but those run over $200; there is the Brydge Stone (non-Pro, single display) for $130).

Macbook Air (2020) doesn't play sound through the TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.