Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resting heart rate

Since update to iOS 14 and watchOS 7 the resting heart rate is not displayed anymore on watch and shows higher than before the update on phone. The graphic on the watch shows it’s being recorded, but no number is shown, just two lines. Is this expected behaviour in sleep mode?

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 10:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 1:50 AM

Further to my problem above, I've turned off the sleep app and my resting heart rate has return and is with expected limits.

So, I think there is a problem with the sleep app interfering with resting heart rae.

17 replies

Sep 23, 2020 5:22 AM in response to pandscarr

Same happening here. My resting heart rate prior to iOS 14 & sleep tracking has always been around 38-40. After the update and with using sleep, it now isn’t even calculated when I wake up - it’s displayed as - - (uncalculated) when I wake up, and now is much much higher as it’s tracked while awake now (around 48). I use these feature a ton to track my resting heart rate while sleeping , so now won’t even bother using the new sleep feature because of this - I’ve found it does calculate when I sleep when I don’t use the feature. Please fix this Apple, otherwise I won’t use this feature (which I think has some promise!).

Nov 12, 2020 3:22 PM in response to britta211

I have Series 6 and 3. Bothe running watchOS 7.1

With Sleep mode enabled - Series 3 measures and reports the RHR right after getting up but Series 6 does NOT.

When I spoke to Apple over phone - they said - RHR isn't supposed to measure/reprot HR measured during sleep.

In fact if you go to RHR section in Health - the "About RHR" section explicitly says - "...RHR does NOT include your HR while you're asleep..." (see attached image)

So if this definition is to be trusted then Series 3 has a bug while Series 6 is doing what the Apple documentation says - i.e. not to include HR during sleep.

I suspect putting Sleep mode on - explicitly tells the Watch to "Stop including HR info now that iAm sleeping". But somehow this instruction isn't obeyed by Series 3 - maybe a bug.

But it's quite confusing.

Sep 25, 2020 12:41 PM in response to britta211

I too have had this problem....since the latest ios 14 and watchOS 7 updates, my resting heart rate is not being displayed while I am sleeping, and it shows a much higher resting heart rate during the day. I have "turned off" the Sleep tracking app that came with watchOS 7 hoping this will correct the obvious glitch/bug in the new update. My usual resting heart rate is around 49-52 and since the update it shows a resting heart rate of 65-68!

Sep 25, 2020 1:23 PM in response to britta211

Same Problem here. I had this problem right after the Watch OS upgrade. I did the iPhone upgrade several days before the watch and everything was working fine until I did the watch

it seems like maybe apple change the algorithm or something. In my case, I do get the resting hear rate but only after 1 or 2 hours after I get up from bed. Before the upgrade the resting heart rate was available as soon I woke up

I think this issue has to do with the sleep feature apple introduced. I am going to try to disable sleep tracking tonight and see how it goes. I don't care about tracking my sleep using my apple watch. the data is useless . I have a third party app that does a way better job at tracking sleep

Sep 30, 2020 3:40 AM in response to britta211

Same for me.

I looked at the recorded pulse data in Apple Health. When using the Sleep app, the contexts is stored as Background. When not using the Sleep app, the context is Sedentary. I think the resting rate is using the Sedentary data to calculate the resting heart rate. I hope I used the correct context terms in English since my language is set to Swedish.

I have just bought a series 6 and suspect that the blood oxygen level will not be measured during the night if not using the Sleep app. I will test this later.

Sep 30, 2020 4:32 AM in response to ThomasKlang

ThomasKlang "I have just bought a series 6 and suspect that the blood oxygen level will not be measured during the night if not using the Sleep app"

I also have just received my watch 6, and am delighted to see that if you set the blood oxygen to automatic, it updates at sometime in the night despite the sleep app being off.

So that's a win - and the always on display is so much nicer at night.

Hope that helps.

Oct 23, 2020 5:50 PM in response to britta211

Hi there, the same thing happens with me. I wear a series 5 os7 and few weeks after the update came, my watch shows a higher resting rate compared to before the update. I guess the problem is within update. And yes, even i felt that the sleep app prevents the watch from collecting enough data, to show its user the resting rate in the morning

Oct 27, 2020 10:44 AM in response to britta211

I assumed that the lower resting rates were taken when alseep, which isn’t really a correct reading anyway. But with sleep it tried to take a reading when resting but asleep.

But what I’ve found is that I’ll get one figure in the morning, at some point, but this will sometimes go up in the afternoon, just a bit. Then it might be revised down again in the evening, and might go back down again (depending on the level of wine consumed...).

I mean, either I was rested in the morning or not, why would it ever be revised up?

Resting heart rate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.