You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine backup size

If my disk usage is less than 500GB why would an initial backup be almost 600GB?

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 9:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 4:21 PM

The initial backup will be the same size as on your boot drive with additional overhead for privileges and other under the hood reasons which I don't know.

Subsequent incremental backups will only backup those files that are new or changed with hard links for all of the other unchanged files.

An excellent source of Time Machine info is this tutorial site Apple OSX and Time Machine Tips.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 20, 2020 4:21 PM in response to icoczar

The initial backup will be the same size as on your boot drive with additional overhead for privileges and other under the hood reasons which I don't know.

Subsequent incremental backups will only backup those files that are new or changed with hard links for all of the other unchanged files.

An excellent source of Time Machine info is this tutorial site Apple OSX and Time Machine Tips.

Time Machine backup size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.