Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Saving Templates

4791 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2010 2:11 PM by singerdf RSS
1 2 Previous Next
singerdf Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 23, 2010 6:37 PM
I am new to Pages. I was playing around today with an existing template and made some changes. When trying to save it, it would tell me it could not be exported. I am not sure why it would be exported rather than saved as a template. So I tried various names and even a very simple template which started as a blank sheet. No luck.

If I am missing something, I am eager to learn. I have downloaded the pdf manual from Apple and will work my way through all 250 pages. I have read the templates section and cannot find my error.

Any help would be wonderful.

Debbie
iMac Intel, Mac OS X (10.6.4)
  • John Bertram Level 1 Level 1 (125 points)
    Jul 24, 2010 6:13 AM (in response to singerdf)
    Just to confirm:

When you try to save it, are you selecting "Save as Template..." from under the File Menu? (As opposed to a Shift-Cmd-S "Save As...", or some other option)

John B.
    Toronto
    Mac Pro, 8-core 2.8GHz; 10 GB; GeForce 8800, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Mac user since 1990 (starting on a sleek SE/30)
  • John Bertram Level 1 Level 1 (125 points)
    Jul 24, 2010 6:32 AM (in response to singerdf)
    Like I said, just wanted to confirm. No offence intended.

I've tried to re-create the problem you describe and can't get it to happen on my machine -- hopefully someone else has encountered, and solved, the issue you're having.

Sorry I couldn't help.
    Mac Pro, 8-core 2.8GHz; 10 GB; GeForce 8800, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Mac user since 1990 (starting on a sleek SE/30)
  • Walt K Level 4 Level 4 (2,895 points)
    Jul 24, 2010 9:24 AM (in response to singerdf)
    Do you still have it? Can you save it as a regular file?

Walt
    iMac 24" 2.66 GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • Walt K Level 4 Level 4 (2,895 points)
    Jul 24, 2010 9:48 AM (in response to singerdf)
    You can use the regular file the same as a template. Just always remember to Save as... (with a new name) rather than Save. (The sooner, the safer.)

Walt
    iMac 24" 2.66 GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • PeterBreis0807 Level 7 Level 7 (27,255 points)
    Jul 24, 2010 10:07 AM (in response to singerdf)
    Are you trying to save as a +Word .doc+ file by any chance?

Templates do not get saved as templates, they get saved as documents.

That is the point of templates they are pre formed documents that you do not overwrite themselves unless you Save As… under the same template name to the same location.

Peter
    Aluminium iMac 24" 2.8Ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.8), The closest you'll ever get to there, is here.
    Jul 24, 2010 11:17 AM (in response to singerdf)
    Which template so that we can try and recreate it.

Did you alter it at all, if so how?

Where were you try to save to?

Peter
    Aluminium iMac 24" 2.8Ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.8), The closest you'll ever get to there, is here.
    Jul 24, 2010 1:26 PM (in response to singerdf)
    Please be clear and detailed.

Have you gone to the Templates location in the *Save As…* dialogue or in Finder.

In *Save As…* are you saying there is no *New Folder* button, and nothing happens when you go +command shift n+ ?

Can you create a folder in Finder at that location?

Do you get a warning if so what does it say exactly?

Does it mention anything about Permissions?

Try saving your template somewhere else, it only needs to be in the library folder to be visible within the Template Chooser.

Peter
1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.