Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saving Templates

I am new to Pages. I was playing around today with an existing template and made some changes. When trying to save it, it would tell me it could not be exported. I am not sure why it would be exported rather than saved as a template. So I tried various names and even a very simple template which started as a blank sheet. No luck.

If I am missing something, I am eager to learn. I have downloaded the pdf manual from Apple and will work my way through all 250 pages. I have read the templates section and cannot find my error.

Any help would be wonderful.

Debbie

iMac Intel, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 23, 2010 6:37 PM

17 replies

Jul 24, 2010 1:04 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

In the Pages manual this is what it says for saving Templates:

To save the template in a different location in your home folder, go to Library/Application Support/iWork/Pages/Templates/ and create a new folder. The folder name is used as the template category in the Template Chooser.

I tried this as well and I cannot create a folder nor is the New Folder option in the Save as Template command available.

Something is amiss!

Jul 24, 2010 1:26 PM in response to singerdf

Please be clear and detailed.

Have you gone to the Templates location in the *Save As…* dialogue or in Finder.

In *Save As…* are you saying there is no *New Folder* button, and nothing happens when you go +command shift n+ ?

Can you create a folder in Finder at that location?

Do you get a warning if so what does it say exactly?

Does it mention anything about Permissions?

Try saving your template somewhere else, it only needs to be in the library folder to be visible within the Template Chooser.

Peter

Jul 24, 2010 1:31 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Sorry, Peter.

1. When I click on Save As Template, it brings up the default location for the templates. My New Folder button is greyed out.
2. No I cannot create a folder in that location. It appears to be locked. I can click on Application Support, but once I click on iWork there is a pencil with a line through it in the lower left corner of the window which tells me it is locked and indeed I cannot add a folder.
3. No warnings per se.
4. I get the cannot export the file message.

I will try and save it to the desktop.

Debbie

Saving Templates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.