Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14 causing wifi issue with WhatsApp audio calls

I have an iPhone 11 and just upgraded to iOS14. However, since the upgrade to iOS14 my WhatsApp audio calls don’t connect using my home wifi network. Before iOS 14, I have never had any issues making WhatsApp audio calls using my wifi network! Secondly, my wife who has an iPhone 6 and an older iOS version has no problem with WhatsApp audio calls using the same wifi network at home. Anyone out there has an idea if there is any way of fixing this issue? I have tried rebooting and resetting my router as well as phone, but the problem still exists. Look forward to some assistance. Thanks.

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 3:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 1:18 PM

I have a similar problem.

Go into settings.

then tap on WhatsApp.

look for 'Local Network'

mine is turned off.

i suspect this is the culprit as I don't remember ever seeing that setting!! Before ios14

I have not had a chance to test this though.

I hope it is the solution.

54 replies

Mar 7, 2021 10:36 PM in response to ppasupula

If you can't find the "Local Network" option, you can try the following steps:

1. Go to "General"
  2. Tap "Reset"
  3. Tap "Reset All Settings" and confirm.

This won't erase anything, only reset whatever settings on your phone including wallpaper, network settings, etc. Once you done this:

1. Reconnect to your wifi
  2. Open Whatsapp
  3. Try to place a voice/video call
  4. Whatsapp will pop a new question asking to allow the apps to discover local network
  5. Tap "Allow"

Once you done this, if you go to "Settings" then "Whatsapp", the local network option should be there.

This works for me and fixed the issue of voice/video call reconnecting issue.

Nov 17, 2020 3:35 AM in response to suhail131

Having the same exact problem.

WhatsApp calls through 4G works perfectly.

Can't call with my office Wifi > Reconnecting forever.

Tried to use a VPN throught WiFi, and got it working, so it seems it's a problem with "Local" like someone pointed out.

Uninstalled and reinstalled WhatsApp didn't fix.

Problem: i dont' have "Local Network" in my settings either!!

Did someone manage to solve it?

Sep 27, 2020 8:13 PM in response to manika275

Hi.

have you updated to iOS 14.1?

macrumours said : - Fixes an issue that could prevent your ‌iPhone‌ from connecting to Wi-Fi networks

I have not updated to iOS 14.1

also, I'm in an iPhone 7 Plus

so if I go to >Settings then scroll down to the bottom I see WhatsApp >> select this then I see the title 'ALLOW WHATSAPP TO ACCESS' : this is where I see the menu item 'Local Network' (mine is still off'.

However , you do not have this feature after updating to iOS 14!

I am way out of my depth now.

However, what is interesting is that with this setting turned off, I was able to make a WhatsApp video call whilst in a hotel!! I am excited to see what happens when at home soon!!

why did it work in a hotel WiFi but not at home is certainly annoying to say the least.

Sep 30, 2020 5:35 AM in response to malschule

An updated to my previous posts in this thread.

Back home after holidays and on my home wifi; this is where, after the ios 14 update, I couldn't make video calls via WhatsApp.

Previously I said that 'maybe' it had something to do with the new setting in the WhatsApp settings, under 'allow whatsapp to access' >>> Local Network.

So I tried calling a friend with this setting 'turned off'.

The call started to work but kept saying 'reconnecting' then I ended the call.

I changed the 'Local Network' setting to 'on'.

Then back into Whatsapp, I was able to call a friend and have a video call.

My problem of not being able to make Video calls using WhatsApp is now resolved.

This is the last of my postings in this thread due to me solving a problem on an iPhone 7 Plus and I do not know about other iPhone versions.

Thank you!

Oct 10, 2020 2:13 PM in response to suhail131

I am using 7+, I have updated to IOS 14.0.1 since then I am also facing the same issue with Whatsapp, I tried to follow the below solution.

But in my settings --> WhatsApp --> I cant see the "Local Network"

I have below options only

--> Contacts

-->Photos

-->Microphone

-->Camera

--> Siri

-->Notifications

-->Background App Refresh

-->Cellular Data

Can some one please help with the issue.

Oct 11, 2020 1:33 AM in response to ppasupula

Hello Everyone,

I have a May 2017 iPhone 7 Plus running on Software Version 14.0.1

WhatsApp version is 2.20.102

Are you up to date with all these things!!!

Maybe they run 'hand-in-hand'!!

Under my Settings and scrolling until I find WhatsApp, I then go into its own settings 'allow whatsapp to access' my list is:

Contacts

Photos

Local Network

etc., etc.,

Good luck!!

Oct 14, 2020 11:40 AM in response to Jose Antonio EC

Not everyone is expereincing this. Have friends in India with no issues. However me and wife both have a XR's & cannot make whatsapp calls over wifi once we upgraded to ios14. Emails are also very slow to come in. Even regular whatsapp messages going thru very slowly.

Wifi calling is also not working. Previously to test Wifi calling you would put airplane mode on, which would disconnect the WIFI connection, then you need to reconnect to wifi and was able to make calls in Airplane mode, NO MORE. Called Apple and they acknowledged that this an issue. Firstly when you turn on the airplane mode the The wifi still stays connected which is a glitch in it's self. When you try calling with airplane mode with WIFI connected, it still gives you the message "No Network connection. Connect to a wi-fi network or disable airplane mode to place a call"

Feb 4, 2021 1:03 AM in response to suhail131

iPhone 7, on 14.4. Settings > WhatsApp does NOT show a local network option at all. Reinstalled whatsapp but new call does not prompt for “allow network access “. The solution of the option is available is really obvious but the option is not there. It is on an iPhone 12 on same ios. Only difference is the iPhone 7 is using an <13 child Apple ID. Any ideas? Ta

iOS 14 causing wifi issue with WhatsApp audio calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.