Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do the Photos albums also move with the Photos library?

I want to transfer my Photos library to an external hard drive to free up space on my MacBook Pro. When I do this, will my Photos albums also transfer?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 9:34 AM

If you move/copy the Photos library to an external HD all of the albums, projects, etc. will go with it. They are all contained within the library package.

Made sure the external HD is formatted OS X Extended (journaled) with ownership set to be ignored and connected by cable to the Mac. If the external is an SSD the format can be APFS - Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2020 9:34 AM in response to MMEandK

If you move/copy the Photos library to an external HD all of the albums, projects, etc. will go with it. They are all contained within the library package.

Made sure the external HD is formatted OS X Extended (journaled) with ownership set to be ignored and connected by cable to the Mac. If the external is an SSD the format can be APFS - Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Do the Photos albums also move with the Photos library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.