Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Videos embedded in a Pages doc, playback in other formats?

My question

I presume that the video playback function only works in Pages or Numbers; meaning, if I produce a PDF version of my product I created in Pages and includes an embedded video, it will not play for someone viewing the PDF version using Preview or Adobe. Would my presumption be correct?

If this feature only works when the document is opened in Pages...

Is this in development? The ability to keep interactive media functionality in a static document format using any PDF reader, would transform what we create and share in this medium. It's no where near as useful if it only works in Pages, given this Apple product has not managed to disrupted the Microsoft monopoly on the currency of file sharing, even though it is a better product.

If Apple can make the video or any multi-media embedded in a Pages doc transferrable to PDF, it would equate with the opportunity to create a well packaged resource that is far more engaging than a standard PDF or report. We could embed data visualizations which would save space on the page. We could embed video created to provide examples or demonstrations that is less impactful in writing. While this sounds just like a webpage, I don't see it as the same. In a way, we have seen letters move from handwriting, to typed, to digital email, to interactive email (watch this, listen here, jump to this webpage, buy this now) To play a video embedded in the layout of a PDF created in the Pages environment would redefine the way we communicate and arrange our messages.

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 9:59 AM

My question

Judahman79 wrote:

My question
I presume that the video playback function only works in Pages or Numbers; meaning, if I produce a PDF version of my product I created in Pages and includes an embedded video, it will not play for someone viewing the PDF version using Preview or Adobe. Would my presumption be correct?

When you paste a YouTube or Vimeo movie into Pages v10.1, and when the document is exported as PDF, the image of the video appears in the PDF, but is linked to YouTube, or Vimeo. A single-click on that PDF image opens the default web browser to the original video source, and initiates playback. This tested PDF functionality works from Preview, and Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

If you want to actually embed video in a PDF, you will need a current subscription to Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, and post-process the exported Pages content (without the YouTube or Vimeo content) with a standalone downloaded version of the video. Naturally, that has copyright implications.

As these are fellow user supported communities, we have no idea what future direction that the Pages product team will undertake.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2020 9:59 AM in response to Judahman79

My question

Judahman79 wrote:

My question

When you paste a YouTube or Vimeo movie into Pages v10.1, and when the document is exported as PDF, the image of the video appears in the PDF, but is linked to YouTube, or Vimeo. A single-click on that PDF image opens the default web browser to the original video source, and initiates playback. This tested PDF functionality works from Preview, and Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

If you want to actually embed video in a PDF, you will need a current subscription to Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, and post-process the exported Pages content (without the YouTube or Vimeo content) with a standalone downloaded version of the video. Naturally, that has copyright implications.

As these are fellow user supported communities, we have no idea what future direction that the Pages product team will undertake.

Videos embedded in a Pages doc, playback in other formats?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.