Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gapless tracks, Crossfade, and random gaps

I recently transferred a classical CD to my Apple streaming music via the app on my Mac. This CD has one piece of music spanning, say, 40 minutes. However, for research purposes the manufacturer (DG) made numerous gapless tracks to assist analyzing the score. In older versions of Apple Music, I could force these tracks to be "gapless." When played on a CD player, these tracks are continuous.

However, once I transferred the album to the cloud, playback via Apple Music is chaotic. Some 1 sec pauses occur between tracks, in a random sort of way. The Crossfade playback is not appropriate since overlap is also not an option.

How can I control this? I've deleted the album from the library and have re-ripped it, but gaps appear in other places.

I'm afraid that this might be a case where a CD player is the only solution. Of course, the CD in question is from the 1980s, and manufacturers have ceased this track making.

Any solution?

iPhone 6, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 2:32 PM

Hi there,

Not good news, but very appreciative.

Well, my Mac doesn't have iTunes 12. It has Apple Music 10.0.6.10 which is the "latest and greatest" replacement for iTunes. And it doesn't have that join-track feature.

When I pop a CD in the options are:

"CD info" and "import CD" and a Control Box ("Get CD Track Names" and "Submit CD Track Names").

The "CD info" gives you the artist, name, etc and a checkbox that it's a compilation of various songs.

"Import CD" brings up "Import using ..." encoder choice, and another box for "Setting."

Nothing else, I'm afraid!

Why did Apple get rid of iTunes-Mac? There are 3rd party utilities for iTunes-Mac. Maybe there's a utility.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2020 2:32 PM in response to ed2345

Hi there,

Not good news, but very appreciative.

Well, my Mac doesn't have iTunes 12. It has Apple Music 10.0.6.10 which is the "latest and greatest" replacement for iTunes. And it doesn't have that join-track feature.

When I pop a CD in the options are:

"CD info" and "import CD" and a Control Box ("Get CD Track Names" and "Submit CD Track Names").

The "CD info" gives you the artist, name, etc and a checkbox that it's a compilation of various songs.

"Import CD" brings up "Import using ..." encoder choice, and another box for "Setting."

Nothing else, I'm afraid!

Why did Apple get rid of iTunes-Mac? There are 3rd party utilities for iTunes-Mac. Maybe there's a utility.

Sep 21, 2020 12:37 PM in response to slach

slach wrote:

I recently transferred a classical CD to my Apple streaming music via the app on my Mac. This CD has one piece of music spanning, say, 40 minutes.

Rip it again, this time using the option "Join CD Tracks," so that it will create a single continuous track, the way the composer and performer intended it.

Gapless tracks, Crossfade, and random gaps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.