Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text message gone - no backup done in last 3 years

Recently, one of the text message of 1 of my friend just dissappeared. These are really important messages and I have no idea why it got deleted.

Is there any way to recover it, the last time I backed up my phone was 3 years ago so can't just restore from back up memory.

Please help.

iPhone 5, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 12:11 PM

If you are using iCloud Syncing for Messages, once you delete it, it's gone.

If you aren't using iCloud Syncing and you had a back up you might have been able to restore it. Without a back up, the messages is gone.

Given that, if you've set it up correctly, your phone will back itself up every night automatically, there's no reason not to back it up. If your phone is ever lost, stolen or damaged, you will lose everything, not just a text message.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2020 12:11 PM in response to vandiatrieu

If you are using iCloud Syncing for Messages, once you delete it, it's gone.

If you aren't using iCloud Syncing and you had a back up you might have been able to restore it. Without a back up, the messages is gone.

Given that, if you've set it up correctly, your phone will back itself up every night automatically, there's no reason not to back it up. If your phone is ever lost, stolen or damaged, you will lose everything, not just a text message.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Text message gone - no backup done in last 3 years

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.