Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14 won’t stay connected to internet

Neither my iPad nor iPhone, both just updated to iOS14, will stay connected to the internet while using a VPN. Turn off the VPN and I can access the internet. It seems protecting myself is wrong according to iOS14 or there is a bug not reported by any others here or Norton. Both Norton apps are up-to-date and updated after iOS14 was released last week. Suggestions other than using the internet without protection???

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 4:19 AM

iOS 14.01update today did not fix the problem. Apps, regardless of developer- including Apple-intermittently fail to reach the internet. Disconnecting McAfee VPN eliminates the problem.

Suspect it’s the issue noted some time ago, that Apple allowed an unusually short time for developers to work with 14 before it went into production.

btw McAfee has not yet publicly addressed The problem.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2020 4:19 AM in response to rjp49

iOS 14.01update today did not fix the problem. Apps, regardless of developer- including Apple-intermittently fail to reach the internet. Disconnecting McAfee VPN eliminates the problem.

Suspect it’s the issue noted some time ago, that Apple allowed an unusually short time for developers to work with 14 before it went into production.

btw McAfee has not yet publicly addressed The problem.

Sep 21, 2020 2:51 PM in response to rjp49

Have you checked with your VPN provider? I know that IOS 14 was sort of thrown out there and some developers were not prepared as yet with updates to their apps. Typically the app changes DNS settings to a VPN server have you checked your advanced settings to see if it's simply using the default ones? Have you tried uninstalling the VPN app and re installing? Since your internet is working fine otherwise I would focus on the VPN app as being the issue even though it is updated because IOS 14 is days old in public release it may require time for apps to update apps for any changes. I have never used a VPN so I can't help beyond these suggestions.

Sep 23, 2020 8:49 PM in response to rjp49

You offer good questions, those are all steps I have now taken but “no-joy”. I spent my day with Norton Chat and then on the support phoneline. I got more frustrated following their directions repeatedly including shutting down my iPad, re-booting, deleting apps, re-installing apps, even shutting down the modem for a re-boot and nothing changed. Except that I am now going commando on the internet with no VPN protection. Norton would not escalate my issue. Is Norton dead to me now?? The answer depends on my own future findings.

Sep 26, 2020 10:46 AM in response to WAJ

Sadly,there is no help from Apple with the latest update. No help from Norton either. Each side is blaming the other. I thought it was only politicians who take no responsibility for their actions or inactions. I have removed Norton Mobile security/VPN because they severed years of trust over this. Any suggestions on another VPN that does work with this new iOS 14.0.1?

Oct 25, 2020 2:36 AM in response to Velo

I had same problem on iPhone Xs, but it only started when I went to iOS 14.1. I wasn't aware of the VPN issue so tried resets and eventually tried a hard reset - which I couldn't do because I found the apple servers were locked out and it needs AppleID verification. I guessed it must be something to do with the McAfee VPN, and when I turned VPN off it seemed OK. When I turned the phone back on VPN was active again and had the same problems. So I went back to VPN settings and this time deleted the McaFee VPN configuration. I think if you don't do that the McAfee Mobile Security app Safe Web function remains active and switches VPN back on automatically.

Oct 25, 2020 7:18 AM in response to rjp49

E e my earlier post (copied below)...

Today I had a long on-line chat with McAfee technical support advisor. After the usual preliminaries ("Please enter the details of your issue so that we can provide the best support") and describing the problem in detail I got through to the advisor (who then asked me to describe the problem in detail so that he could provide the best support"). After about 30 minutes (including the time required to run a log from the Mobile Security app (and to find a way to get the 80+MB file to him) he told me that it was being escalated and that McAfee were already working on the issue...

"I had same problem on iPhone Xs, but it only started when I went to iOS 14.1. I wasn't aware of the VPN issue so tried resets and eventually tried a hard reset - which I couldn't do because I found the apple servers were locked out and it needs AppleID verification. I guessed it must be something to do with the McAfee VPN, and when I turned VPN off it seemed OK. When I turned the phone back on VPN was active again and had the same problems. So I went back to VPN settings and this time deleted the McaFee VPN configuration. I think if you don't do that the McAfee Mobile Security app Safe Web function remains active and switches VPN back on automatically."

iOS 14 won’t stay connected to internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.