Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Vo2 Max Not recordering

VO2 max data no longer being recorded after update to watchOS 7 and IOS 14 on the IPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 5:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2020 3:21 PM

I am seeing VO2 max being recorded on my iPhone 11 Pro 14.0.1. I am going to bet this is related to the same sync issue seen with GPS data, likely from Apple rewriting the Activity App to the Fitness App. I had to RESET my iPhone.

Apple has been telling scores of people to RESET their phone and Re-pair their watches. Please read the following CAREFULLY or you may lose your data, particularly the iCloud backup part. Local backup to a Mac won't cut it,

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211865

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2020 3:21 PM in response to Dgavery

I am seeing VO2 max being recorded on my iPhone 11 Pro 14.0.1. I am going to bet this is related to the same sync issue seen with GPS data, likely from Apple rewriting the Activity App to the Fitness App. I had to RESET my iPhone.

Apple has been telling scores of people to RESET their phone and Re-pair their watches. Please read the following CAREFULLY or you may lose your data, particularly the iCloud backup part. Local backup to a Mac won't cut it,

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211865

Oct 11, 2020 1:56 PM in response to craigfromformby

I figured out the issue with mine. After restoring my iPhone and my Apple Watch and setting them up is brand new I still had no luck. Then I realized I was using my polar chest heart rate monitor paired to my watch when I ran. So I tried running without the polar and only using the Apple Watch and when I did it automatically updated correctly. This is still a bummer and clearly a software issue with watchOS 7 or iOS 14. I had no problems using the polar heart rate monitor up until September 16 and I was recording V02max without issue. I plan on submitting a ticket to polar and letting them know. Before and after photos.

Sep 29, 2020 2:37 AM in response to Dgavery

I have the same problem; iPhone 11Pro, Apple Watch S4. I updated to IOS 14 on the day it came out, but watch wouldn’t update at all, so I installed a watch beta profile. The watch then updated to watchOS 7.

I did do a run with the new OS and it recorded the VO2 Max.

I had the problem of excessive battery drain on the watch and despite unpairing/repairing a couple of times, nothing would cure this. I took the advice of setting up the watch as a new watch. This took a couple of tries too, but eventually I had set the watch up as new and the battery drain issue disappeared. Only problem now is that VO2 Max is not recorded.

In the Health app, the watch is not showing as a Data Source - that seems to be the issue, for me at least.

I wonder if any beta profiles allow the VO2 to transfer over?

Oct 10, 2020 9:03 AM in response to swarren55

I've reset the iPhone following Apple's advice. This time, I used iCloud (had to upgrade storage....) for backup/restore. Took a long time, and it still didn't restore my songs.

I've checked in the Health app, I'm still not convinced the Watch is being used as a data source (I believe this is why vo2 isn't being calculated). I'll go for a run tomorrow and see what happens, but it doesn't look promising.

Oct 10, 2020 9:50 AM in response to craigfromformby

New VO2 data requires I believe a 20 min outdoor walk or run with a constant heart reading. I was looking for the Apple reference but can't find it at the moment. I fear data between the upgrade to IOS14 and the phone reset is likely gone. I blame the new Fitness app. My watches are WatchOS 6, not 7, and the IOS 14 upgrade buggered the sync from some data types for both.

You can get your music back if you copy your iTunes library back from your computer. Apple does NOT back up your music, even with the "full" backup option. They tell us that in the fine print and easily missed.

Oct 10, 2020 9:56 AM in response to swarren55

Ah thanks for the music info. Knowing how badly wrong this could all go, I completed a full backup to my MacBook before backing up to iCloud.

I use RunGap so all my runs are stored thankfully. It also looks like my Health and Activity have been saved too, which is better than some others have fared.

I've read in many places that the watch needs a 20 minute outdoor exercise to register a vo2 reading. I'll be doing a long run tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

Oct 10, 2020 9:58 AM in response to Robshields1976

After unpairing watch, backing up the phone to iCloud then resetting the iPhone to restoring back everything from iCloud I am now in the 17th hour. Everything has been restored except everything from the activity app. its still restoring data to Activity and Health apps. The last time I did this it took about 88 hours. No reason for this other than a glitch on there end but it eventually does do it

Oct 10, 2020 12:31 PM in response to Dgavery

Missing VO2 max data began with iOS upgrades with the new IWatch. I spent hours on the phone with Apple Support for nearly three weeks. Went through countless unpairing / restoring / resetting, etc. They tried to export the data logs from my iPhone to their server and could not do so.

My latest conversation ended with the support / engineer telling me that "I am dead in the water" and they have no current fix. Apple is better than this and my very first poor customer service experience. Simply bad service and a commitment to a remedy. I guess - just have to wait.

Vo2 Max Not recordering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.