Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS will not boot, keeps going back to MacOS Utilities.

A while ago, I downloaded the Big Sur beta, but immediately regretted when certain applications (Logic Pro X doesn’t display some of my third party plugins) didn’t work. A month later, I decided to downgrade, and transferred my important files onto an external hard drive. I downloaded Catalina from the mac store, but did not create a bootable drive, but instead deleted the Big Sur profile from my computer, and went to recovery mode. Realising I had to get a USB, I gave up and rebooted the computer again. However this time, it didn’t boot back to normal, but went back into recovery mode instead. While panicking, I deleted everything off the computer, including the bootcamp that I had installed previously, and reformatted my ssd and hard drive.

Since then I have created a bootable drive with Catalina on it, and have tried multiple times to reset my MacBook with the drive by wiping it and installing it there, but it does not work. My Mac keeps loading till halfway after it installs the new MacOS, flashes red for a bit, then goes back into Recovery mode.

I have tried this from Internet Recovery, the built in recovery but yet nothing seems to be working. When i try to delete my SSD, this shows up:

I don’t know what to do at this point and am seeking some help from here. Thanks a bunch.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 1:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 8:41 AM

Please review How to erase a disk for Mac, and in particular, the passage under the heading "How to erase your disk."

All of it is important, including the following:

For example, if your Mac originally shipped with a startup disk formatted for AFPS, that's what you need to choose. If it did not, then choose the older Mac OS Extended format.

Finally: "If your disk or volume doesn't appear, or the erase fails" describes the remaining steps to follow.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2020 8:41 AM in response to Wolfypapi

Please review How to erase a disk for Mac, and in particular, the passage under the heading "How to erase your disk."

All of it is important, including the following:

For example, if your Mac originally shipped with a startup disk formatted for AFPS, that's what you need to choose. If it did not, then choose the older Mac OS Extended format.

Finally: "If your disk or volume doesn't appear, or the erase fails" describes the remaining steps to follow.

MacOS will not boot, keeps going back to MacOS Utilities.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.