Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch for Cycling

Which Apple Watch Series 6 to choose for cycling (mainly MTB)? Is it big difference between Aluminium and Stainless Steel?

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 6:49 AM

I use my Apple Watch to track all of my cycling (mostly MTB and gravel) and it seems to work well enough. There are plus and minuses to both cases, the Alu case will be lighter and the screen might be a little more resistant impacts (though my wife shattered hers). The stainless is more resistant to scratches on both the case and screen, but is heavier and of course more expensive. I have the Alu GPS/Cell all case version. Originally, I figured I'd be able to leave my phone at home, but the cellular service kills the battery on long rides, so I'm back to a phone in my jersey pocket.

I should also mention that, unless you get a chest strap HR monitor or wear the watch tight on the wrist, the watch can be flakey with HR data on rough MTB rides. I generally wear my watch a bit tighter when on the trails to prevent limit this.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2020 6:49 AM in response to tautvydas21

I use my Apple Watch to track all of my cycling (mostly MTB and gravel) and it seems to work well enough. There are plus and minuses to both cases, the Alu case will be lighter and the screen might be a little more resistant impacts (though my wife shattered hers). The stainless is more resistant to scratches on both the case and screen, but is heavier and of course more expensive. I have the Alu GPS/Cell all case version. Originally, I figured I'd be able to leave my phone at home, but the cellular service kills the battery on long rides, so I'm back to a phone in my jersey pocket.

I should also mention that, unless you get a chest strap HR monitor or wear the watch tight on the wrist, the watch can be flakey with HR data on rough MTB rides. I generally wear my watch a bit tighter when on the trails to prevent limit this.

Apple Watch for Cycling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.