Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

should I upgrade to a 2020 IMac?

I've been using a 21" IMac since 2012, just lately its got slower and glitchy eg crashes occasionally, is slow to wake up and seems to use a lot of its 8GB memory (especially when I'm photo processsing). I've heard this could be a sign that its on its way out. So I'm wondering if I should upgrade now and what performance improvements I could expect?

My existing IMac has a 2.9Ghz intel core i5 chip and runs High Sierra 10.13.6.

Thank you.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 9:42 AM

It depends on which size imac you get. If you buy another 21.5" get it with the largest SSD you can afford and a minimum of 16GB of RAM, if you get one of these it will be a dramatic improvement in speed assuming your current computer specs are the typical 8GB of RAM, 1TB HD or Fusion drive.

If you get a 27", anything you get will be dramatic improvement. Again, get the largest SSD you can afford and buy it with only the standard 8 GB of RAM. While you are waiting for it to arrive, order 32 GB or RAM from either Crucial.com or Macsales.com. With that configuration, again it will be a huge upgrade.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2020 9:42 AM in response to Richard1955

It depends on which size imac you get. If you buy another 21.5" get it with the largest SSD you can afford and a minimum of 16GB of RAM, if you get one of these it will be a dramatic improvement in speed assuming your current computer specs are the typical 8GB of RAM, 1TB HD or Fusion drive.

If you get a 27", anything you get will be dramatic improvement. Again, get the largest SSD you can afford and buy it with only the standard 8 GB of RAM. While you are waiting for it to arrive, order 32 GB or RAM from either Crucial.com or Macsales.com. With that configuration, again it will be a huge upgrade.

should I upgrade to a 2020 IMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.