Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Overheating and burnt MacBook Pro 16" 2019

Hi,

As written above – MacBook Pro 16" 2019 is overheating and being burnt while using. As a result my MacBook's lid is getting dirty with kinda soot. My desk is also getting dirty.

Check out these photos:

The soot comes from ventilating fans:

Temperature inside my MacBook:

Any ideas what's wrong with my MacBook? MacBook is 1 month old.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 11:50 AM

8 replies

Sep 22, 2020 12:01 PM in response to MattCobosco

The dust you show near the fan exit ports is not alarming. Exit air will be dusty if the intake air is dusty.

The temperatures you show in that report are perfectly normal -- You Mac can run all day every day at 60 degrees C without the slightest problem. At those temperatures, it may not even ramp up the fan speeds much.

if you Mac internal temperatures approach 100 degrees C, the fans will ramp to maximum. If the temperatures cannot be controlled, your Mac may do an uncontrolled power-down to avoid damage. A Mac that does such a power down without explanation likely needs service.

Sep 22, 2020 12:09 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hm... intriguing. Even if my computer is just 1 month old? It has been used at my home. I didn’t travel with it. The only surfaces it knows are my desk and my knees. I’m pedantic about my workspace, there is no dust.

Also friends of mine who have the same exact model don’t have such problems. It makes me probe.

If the environment around me is clean and intake air as well, then what can cause this issue?

Overheating and burnt MacBook Pro 16" 2019

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.