Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Mid-2011 iMac as monitor for 2020 MacBook Pro

I'm wanting to use my Mid-2011 iMac monitor for my 2020 MacBook Pro. I purchased a Thunderbolt 2 cable plus adapter so my iMac is connected to my MacBook Pro but in spite of following all the steps listed in this link https://applerepairstation.co.uk/Technical%20Desk/use-your-imac-as-a-display-with-target-display-mode/ Command-F2 does not switch the iMac to target display mode. iMac is on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6, MacBook Pro is on Catalina 10.15.6. I'm using a Apple keyboard on the iMac.

Recommendations for next steps??

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 2:56 PM

According to Apple 2020 Macs don't work...

You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display. Learn how to identify your iMac model.

Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac used as the external display. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2020 2:56 PM in response to dennisbatey

According to Apple 2020 Macs don't work...

You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display. Learn how to identify your iMac model.

Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac used as the external display. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later.

Using Mid-2011 iMac as monitor for 2020 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.