Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get upper case letters in Scribble?

It is almost impossible to get Scribble to recognize uppercase letters at the beginning of a word and with acronyms. Can't you enable something like a double-tap on the pencil to toggle case?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 11:13 AM

I find that if you touch (with your finger, not the pencil) on the blue dotted underlined words (sometime several times), it will give the original intended version (e.g., with capital "L" in your example).

Another trick I've found is to start with only the capital capital letter, pause, and then finish the word:

Don't forget to register for the L [pause] ecture S [pause] eries.” will yield “Don't forget to register for the Lecture Series.”

Apple support at this level is mostly bot scripts to check for the obvious and unfortunately delay addressing the real issue we all have to deal with.

After I reach my daily limit to tolerating Scribble, I fall back to disabling Scribble altogether and use the third party Handwriting Keyboard (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/handwriting-keyboard/id926102392)

For the ultimate handwriting experience, I find myself more frequently flipping over to my Samsung tablet with Google Keyboard handwriting that is unsurpassed.

I hope this helps (because Apple won't be getting back to us ;-)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2020 11:13 AM in response to sabaducia

I find that if you touch (with your finger, not the pencil) on the blue dotted underlined words (sometime several times), it will give the original intended version (e.g., with capital "L" in your example).

Another trick I've found is to start with only the capital capital letter, pause, and then finish the word:

Don't forget to register for the L [pause] ecture S [pause] eries.” will yield “Don't forget to register for the Lecture Series.”

Apple support at this level is mostly bot scripts to check for the obvious and unfortunately delay addressing the real issue we all have to deal with.

After I reach my daily limit to tolerating Scribble, I fall back to disabling Scribble altogether and use the third party Handwriting Keyboard (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/handwriting-keyboard/id926102392)

For the ultimate handwriting experience, I find myself more frequently flipping over to my Samsung tablet with Google Keyboard handwriting that is unsurpassed.

I hope this helps (because Apple won't be getting back to us ;-)

Oct 2, 2020 11:06 AM in response to Leanne_68

Thanks, Leanne. I've tried your suggestion and unfortunately, it made no difference. I find that the following letters are most problematic: z p c s and j (these all were written in upper case-btw)

Given the newness of Scribble, I fully understand it's bound to have initial limitations and am willing to await it's maturing.

I recommend to not loose momentum and leverage the transition from being a Novelty feature to becoming a genuine Productivity capability. Third party products are significantly more advanced/capable so it may be increasingly harder to catch-up.

Oct 2, 2020 1:22 PM in response to wiltjk

wiltjk,

Thanks for getting back to us with those details. We appreciate your effort in the steps that were performed.

Let's ensure that the iPad is updated to iPadOS 14.0.1. This provides software improvements that may help. Here's a helpful article with the proper steps: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If that doesn't help and you continue to experience the same behavior, we suggest to contact Apple Support to review this further. You can contact them through this link here: Get Support

Kind regards.

Sep 29, 2020 8:23 AM in response to wiltjk

Hi wiltjk,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand with the use of Scribble on an iPad Pro, it's not recognizing your handwriting for uppercase letters.

Scribble is a great feature to immediately compose your messages. We'll be happy to help.

To help troubleshoot this behavior, we suggest to temporarily turn off Scribble and restart the iPad Pro. After restarting your iPad Pro, please turn Scribble back on and see if that helps. Here's how to perform each step:

1. Restart your iPad
  2. Settings > Apple Pencil > Scribble.

Please keep us posted with the results.

Best regards.

How do I get upper case letters in Scribble?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.