Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Mac Mini

My new Mac has been partially operable for 5 days. I haven't migrated old data yet. When I open Safari it says: in the last 7 days Safari has prevented 32 trackers from tracking you. What does this mean?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 1:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 1:17 AM

Here's an article about Safari and tracking. Prevent cross-site tracking in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

5 replies

Sep 27, 2020 7:04 PM in response to hcsitas

Thanks for the responses. I've checked out the recommendation about cross site tracking. Both the new and the old Mac have the same settings, but the old one doesn't announce any tracker prevention.

What puzzles me is that the first time I turned on the new Mac and tried Safari just to see if I had internet acccess it said it had prevented 27 trackers. How could it do that the instant it came online for the first time?

regards, James

Sep 27, 2020 10:16 PM in response to jamesfromlismore

jamesfromlismore wrote:

What puzzles me is that the first time I turned on the new Mac and tried Safari just to see if I had internet acccess it said it had prevented 27 trackers. How could it do that the instant it came online for the first time?

hcsitas did an excellent job summing up the reasons why. Another way to look at this, is every webpage you open, could potentially link to other websites. This is typical for advertisers. If you use an ad-blocker, like Pi-hole, or perform a data capture, using something like Wireshark, you may be surprised on how much of these communications go on in the background. Google is #1 in tracking on the Internet ... and there are plenty of other players out there as well.

New Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.