Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad security

At the older iPads for example iPad mini 4 safe to use? My question is because I know iOS 14 is out but old iPads run on iOS 12 does that mean they have security or not?

thanks in advance for any answers

iPad mini, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 3:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 3:44 AM

Older devices for which update support has ended do not receive major software updates. iOS12, despite ending major update support in September 2019, has continued to receive “point” security updates that address significant issues over the last year.

The only way to be certain that your iPad/iPhone is as secure as possible, you need to ensure that you have a model that is still in active support. Most models of iPad receive updates for five or more years - Apple being streets ahead of the competition who generally only support mobile devices for only two years.

As for being “safe” to use, this is subjective. If using your iPad for casual surfing with a browser, your risk factors are considerably different to those of someone who routinely accesses financial or personally sensitive information.

My personal recommendation - regardless of the computing platform, only access sensitive or financial information from a computing device that receives active/regular security updates - and even then, only from a computer that you “trust”. If you dabble in exploring the darker areas of the web, use a different computer from that that you use for anything important or critical.

Accept that all computers have a finite lifetime - during which they have any realistic chance of remaining secure; when support ends, you must seriously consider replacement.

I hope this information, guidance and insight proves to be helpful to you.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2020 3:44 AM in response to GennaroN1

Older devices for which update support has ended do not receive major software updates. iOS12, despite ending major update support in September 2019, has continued to receive “point” security updates that address significant issues over the last year.

The only way to be certain that your iPad/iPhone is as secure as possible, you need to ensure that you have a model that is still in active support. Most models of iPad receive updates for five or more years - Apple being streets ahead of the competition who generally only support mobile devices for only two years.

As for being “safe” to use, this is subjective. If using your iPad for casual surfing with a browser, your risk factors are considerably different to those of someone who routinely accesses financial or personally sensitive information.

My personal recommendation - regardless of the computing platform, only access sensitive or financial information from a computing device that receives active/regular security updates - and even then, only from a computer that you “trust”. If you dabble in exploring the darker areas of the web, use a different computer from that that you use for anything important or critical.

Accept that all computers have a finite lifetime - during which they have any realistic chance of remaining secure; when support ends, you must seriously consider replacement.

I hope this information, guidance and insight proves to be helpful to you.

iPad security

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.