Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidentally Closed 400+ tabs on Safari on iPad. Help!

I accidentally closed all but one of my tabs in Safari on my iPad. I had over 400 tabs.

I pressed the + button and retrieved 200 of them. That's all it will allow me to recover.

Is there any way to retrieve the rest of them?

It's a lot of research and info I don't want to loose. Yes, I should have saved the bookmarks, but didn't :-(

Thank you in advance for the help!

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 6:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 7:55 PM

I was very careful in how I recovered the 200 tabs.

After an online search, I read that some users encountered that same problem, that Safari will only let you recover 200 tabs, not the 400+ I lost.

I was hoping that perhaps there was a workaround so that I could recover everything else.

I open to any suggestions!

Thanks!!!!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2020 7:55 PM in response to LotusPilot

I was very careful in how I recovered the 200 tabs.

After an online search, I read that some users encountered that same problem, that Safari will only let you recover 200 tabs, not the 400+ I lost.

I was hoping that perhaps there was a workaround so that I could recover everything else.

I open to any suggestions!

Thanks!!!!

Sep 23, 2020 6:22 AM in response to Samara

Don’t panic.

You may find this article to be helpful in understanding some of the frequent difficulties encountered by users new to iPadOS Safari - along with some of Safari’s more esoteric features and quirks:

iPadOS - Safari - Lost Windows, Lost Tabs… - Apple Community

Insofar as possible, I hope to have distilled most of the frequent problems reported here - and documented procedures, strategies [and where needed] some useful workarounds.

I that you find this to be helpful in resolving any issues that you may be experiencing.

Sep 23, 2020 7:08 AM in response to Samara

Whilst iPadOS Safari is actually very robust at protecting open sessions/tabs, if closed tabs are not recoverable using the procedures I have described in the linked article, then they’re effectively lost. Your ability to recover only a subset of tabs would suggest that your earlier recovery attempts may have compounded the problem.

The ability to reopen/recover a closed Safari window and associated tab is finite; subsequent actions have significant impact on this ability.

If direct recovery of a closed Safari window has been lost, your remaining option may be to review your Safari Page History.

Accidentally Closed 400+ tabs on Safari on iPad. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.