Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet cable Connection for a Macbook Pro

What ethernet cable do I need to connect to my router for a Macbook Pro. Do I need any adapter, or will a standard cable work?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 6:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 7:03 PM

It depends on the exact model of MacBook Pro. Older non-Retina models have a standard Ethernet port, while the older Retina models (2012-2015) need a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. For a USB-C model laptop Apple does not make a USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (why?!?) so you will need to purchase a third party adapter (Plugable, Anker, and StarTech are good brand options).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2020 7:03 PM in response to sani177

It depends on the exact model of MacBook Pro. Older non-Retina models have a standard Ethernet port, while the older Retina models (2012-2015) need a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. For a USB-C model laptop Apple does not make a USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (why?!?) so you will need to purchase a third party adapter (Plugable, Anker, and StarTech are good brand options).

Ethernet cable Connection for a Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.