Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Indicators in status bar. What is a red dot?

now I know what the orange and green lights mean... what does a red light indicate?

iPhone XS Max, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 1:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 6:18 PM

Actually you are incorrect. My entire area at the top and bottom of my screen is black and the letters are white. I keep getting 3 different colored dots RED, GREEN and ORANGE. The RED is in fact RED NOT ORANGE! The orange is orange and the RED IS RED! We are ALL seeing this with the exception of a few and WE ALL WANT TO KNOW WHY! Not to be told we are NOT actually seeing red because it is orange. I’m not color blind and the black background on my phone doesn’t change. I have it set up permanently like this. And recently my husband and myself have started seeing these 3 different colored dots. We’ve never noticed them before, but they are clearly here now.

This is what I’ve personally done and recommend this to anyone who has an issue with their privacy being violated. I’ve gone into my privacy settings and turned off all allowances for camera and microphone. If I need to use them on an app, I will turn it on at that time. So if I continue to see these dots, that’s going to be a real problem for me!

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2020 6:18 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

Actually you are incorrect. My entire area at the top and bottom of my screen is black and the letters are white. I keep getting 3 different colored dots RED, GREEN and ORANGE. The RED is in fact RED NOT ORANGE! The orange is orange and the RED IS RED! We are ALL seeing this with the exception of a few and WE ALL WANT TO KNOW WHY! Not to be told we are NOT actually seeing red because it is orange. I’m not color blind and the black background on my phone doesn’t change. I have it set up permanently like this. And recently my husband and myself have started seeing these 3 different colored dots. We’ve never noticed them before, but they are clearly here now.

This is what I’ve personally done and recommend this to anyone who has an issue with their privacy being violated. I’ve gone into my privacy settings and turned off all allowances for camera and microphone. If I need to use them on an app, I will turn it on at that time. So if I continue to see these dots, that’s going to be a real problem for me!

Nov 24, 2020 6:52 PM in response to Candywright458

Here is Apple’s explanation ➡️ About the orange and green indicators in your iPhone status bar - Apple Support

specifically:

An orange indicator  means the microphone

is being used by an app on your iPhone.

This indicator may appear as a red dot if the 

Accessibility > Increase Contrast setting is on.

are you accusing Apple of lying?

Nov 3, 2020 8:07 AM in response to JacoTaco

You have 2 completely separate issues. The dot (whatever color) has been explained several times in the thread you posted to and apparently didn’t read, but here is the summary:

• An Orange dot means the internal microphone is on. You will see it when you are on a phone call and not using a headset, or when using any app that uses the microphone (Siri, Zoom, WhatsApp, Signal, Skype, Telegram, Google Duo, FB Messenger, FaceTime, iMessage voice, Voice Recorder, Shazam, as well as any games that use the mic)
  • A Red dot is an orange dot that looks red because it is on an black background
  • A Green dot means that any camera is on

If your calls get disconnected you need to contact your carrier.

Oct 19, 2020 1:24 PM in response to Lhabbjam

I’ve been trying to find the answer to this but I can’t find it I have in the right hand corner upper right hand corner by my notification sign for my battery on the opposite side of where my Wi-Fi statuse is There’s always been a red dot or a green dot now there’s an orange dot why are they there and what are the differences? I called Apple Support one time she asked me specifically if it was an orange dot and I said no and she said good because that means somebody’s recording?

Nov 8, 2020 2:18 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I asked originally why the green light came on when I dial a number or when someone called me. It would then change to red. I never understood why, if green means the camera is being used, it would come on when the screen displayed the phone number calling or the the number being called by me. I even called Apple Support and they couldn't tell me why it was green first, then red. Can anyone address that?

Nov 27, 2020 2:00 PM in response to Lojl

What “issue” is real? The fact that an orange (or red with some Accessibility settings) dot means that the microphone is on?

go to Settings/Accessibility/Display &Text Size and turn on Increase Contrast. The orange dot will appear red (if you compare carefully it is not the same red as the hang up button). Now turn the setting off and it will be Orange.

Dec 5, 2020 8:04 AM in response to chele32

chele32 wrote:

My problem isn’t that the dot is red - it’s that my face doesn’t show when using FaceTime. I can’t see it and the recipient can’t see it. It says paused. I can see and hear them but they can SEE me.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the Mic/Camera indicator. Please create a NEW post describing your issue so people who think they can help will see it.

Dec 5, 2020 6:12 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch I doubt if you can help me since the red/orange dot is an indicator that the microphone is in use during FaceTime- which means the camera is not in use. You should be able to see the correlation. No green dot means no camera. The recipient of my face time can’t see me. My camera isn’t functioning the way it should with FaceTime. This just started happening. I haven’t changed any settings and any suggestions I found such as restart the app or my iPad have not solved the problem.

FYI - I did discover that the camera app will no longer flip so I can see my own face.

anyone have the same problem or suggestions to fix it?

Indicators in status bar. What is a red dot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.