Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic device switching not working on AirPods Pro

I have the most recent OS on all devices (iPhone iOS 14, iPad iPadOS 14 & AirPods Pro 3A283) and all devices are signed in to the same iCloud account. The AirPods have been successfully paired to both devices, they are set to automatically connect to each device (iPhone & iPad) in their corresponding Bluetooth settings, I’ve even tried “forget this device” and re-pairing the AirPods but the automatic device switching is still not working. Are there any other settings outside of the Bluetooth settings that need to be activated to use this function? Or does this only work in certain situations like when ending a phone call, FaceTime call, etc.? This is the situation I tried: I was listening to a podcast on my phone with the AirPods, but then wanted to use them to watch a film on my iPad. I closed the podcast app, put my phone down then picked up the iPad and started a film but the audio was playing on my iPad speakers and I had to manually choose the AirPods as audio device like before the OS updates. I would be thankful for any information on what I may be doing wrong or for suggestions or tips on what I could try.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 3:41 AM

This post is going out to those who noted that they have the same question.

Since posting a few days ago, I have continued to try different things to fix the problem. This morning, on a whim because this function works in connection with a user’s iCloud account, I upgraded my iCloud account security to two-factor authentication to see if this would make a difference. This didn’t seem to solve my issue immediately, though after reconnecting the AirPods to my iPhone after the security upgrade (at that moment I was already using them with my iPad) I can now listen to audio on both my iPad and iPhone without manually switching. Both devices are showing in their Bluetooth settings that they are connected to my AirPods Pro. I’m not sure if this is how it is intended to work, that both devices are simultaneously connected to the AirPods, however when I now start any kind of audio (or receive an incoming call) the audio automatically starts playing on the AirPods from the device with the most recent audio activity. I also get a pop-up message on the screen of the inactive device that the AirPods Pro have been switched to my other device.

It would interest me to know if the community members still having issues also have the older security settings without two-factor authentication or if it was just a coincidence that it is now working for me after I upgraded. Hopefully it will help at least some of you. I know how frustrating this problem was for me, it was the function I was most looking forward to in the OS 14 updates.

47 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2020 3:41 AM in response to MsCornchip

This post is going out to those who noted that they have the same question.

Since posting a few days ago, I have continued to try different things to fix the problem. This morning, on a whim because this function works in connection with a user’s iCloud account, I upgraded my iCloud account security to two-factor authentication to see if this would make a difference. This didn’t seem to solve my issue immediately, though after reconnecting the AirPods to my iPhone after the security upgrade (at that moment I was already using them with my iPad) I can now listen to audio on both my iPad and iPhone without manually switching. Both devices are showing in their Bluetooth settings that they are connected to my AirPods Pro. I’m not sure if this is how it is intended to work, that both devices are simultaneously connected to the AirPods, however when I now start any kind of audio (or receive an incoming call) the audio automatically starts playing on the AirPods from the device with the most recent audio activity. I also get a pop-up message on the screen of the inactive device that the AirPods Pro have been switched to my other device.

It would interest me to know if the community members still having issues also have the older security settings without two-factor authentication or if it was just a coincidence that it is now working for me after I upgraded. Hopefully it will help at least some of you. I know how frustrating this problem was for me, it was the function I was most looking forward to in the OS 14 updates.

Oct 2, 2020 7:10 PM in response to MsCornchip

I can't test on my appleid as, for some reason, I don't have the two factor setting on either my phone or ipad. And Apple says I have to wait until Nov 2 to be able to turn on two-step verification cause I reset my password recently - ironically while trying to get the airpods working.

So I created a fresh appleid - logged in on pad and phone - and airpods switch automatically as expected so it does point to an issue with the icloud accounts. This isn't really a viable workaround as I'd prefer to use my existing appleid.

Apple - there are dozens of posts about airpod auto switching not working and the only reply you give is a link to the docs to turn it on/off when there's clearly something preventing it from working for some users.

Please follow up on this problem being related to the security settings.

Nov 2, 2020 5:02 AM in response to MsCornchip

I came upon this thread as I recently bought myself a new pair of AirPods Pro and the one feature I was really excited for was the auto switching, just to be frustrated after a short while as it did not work for me and I couldn’t figure out why. All of the tips I read online just said to make sure your devices were all on iOS 14 and the AirPods had the latest firmware.

No one with the same problem seemed to have found a working solution until I found this thread and I thought let’s give it a try. I did not have two-factor authentication enabled so there was a chance that this might actually be the secret solution to my problem. And what can I say: it worked!! I had to re-pair my AirPods after turning it on (forgetting the device in bluetooth settings and then connecting them as new AirPods) but now it works just fine.

So, I’m replying here to let you and whoever comes upon this thread know that it has also worked for me and might actually be the cause of this feature not working for some.

Nov 2, 2020 12:26 PM in response to lxmonster

Hello lxmonster, thanks for responding. It certainly sounds like it’s some kind of an iCloud issue causing this problem. I’ve really been enjoying the convenience of the auto-switching feature and I’m happy to hear the solution worked for you as well.

Since posting I‘ve wondered if simply logging out of iCloud on my devices, forgetting the AirPods Pro on those devices, and then reconnecting the AirPods only after I’ve logged into iCloud once again, would reset whatever the issue was with my iCloud. It’s too late for me to try that now though perhaps that would help some who are still having trouble but already have two-factor authentication activated. I know there are other issues (unrelated to this problem) that can be solved by logging out of iCloud and then back in.

Dec 6, 2020 6:16 PM in response to MsCornchip

@MsCornchip

I already had 2Factor Auth turned on before I even bought the AirPods Pro; autoswitching still is not working for me (trying it on my MacBook Pro 2016 and my 12 Pro Max.) I'll try it on my iPad Pro later today and see if it works with that and one of the other devices.

This is definitely not a "just works" product. :(

Dec 8, 2020 2:27 AM in response to Wolvenx

I have read in other discussions that some are having trouble getting this to work on their Macs even though they have updated to Big Sur. Not sure if there’s a different issue then for some Mac users. But I would definitely try logging out of iCloud and back in as described in my post from Nov 2. I’m pretty sure at this point it was an iCloud issue and not necessarily the change to 2FA that solved my problem. Switching to 2FA also reconnected me to iCloud on all devices as would signing out and back in would. Good luck.

Dec 8, 2020 1:45 PM in response to MsCornchip

I am using a 2014 MacBook Pro and a 2017 MacBook along with my iPhone 11 Pro and could not understand this functionality. After playing around with the bluetooth settings, I believe I solved at least my problems, and hopefully yours.

I made sure the "Connect to This ___" settings on each Mac/iPhone I was using was changed to "Automatically"

After doing so, each time media was played, the machine would either connect, or give me a notification the AirPods are "Nearby" and gave the option to connect.

Hope this helps!

Dec 14, 2020 1:36 PM in response to MsCornchip

Here's what helped me to get the automatic switching working:

- log your affected devices (iPhone, iPad or Mac) out of iCloud

- log them in again

- connect them manually to one of these devices

- on the other device, connect the AirPods using the AirPlay control menu — Done!

- if this didn't work, maybe try connecting and reconnecting them a few times between your devices

Jan 7, 2021 9:03 PM in response to John I.

I am trying the automatic switching option on my MacBook Pro 2018 (Big Sur 11.1) and iPhone 11Pro (iOS 14.3). I even complained it to apple service centre, and they replaced the AirPods but the problem still persists. I have already reset my phone and laptop and reinstalled the latest software. Then I reconnected my AirPods to both the devices but the automatic switching works one way. When I stop media on my laptop and get a call on my phone, or start an audio, the device switches to the phone. But it doesn't happen the other way round.

I am so frustrated, that after getting my AirPods replaced, and my devices formatted, it still doesn't work. Can somebody help? Did anyone face this issue with the laptop and phone?

Automatic device switching not working on AirPods Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.