Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2020 MacBook, used: Old MacBook name shows up on AirDrop

Hi. I bought a MacBook Air secondhand a few days ago. I deleted the old user's admin account after I created a new admin account. I went into Sharing on System Preferences and changed the name of my computer as well. But whenever I use AirDrop or make a phone call and hit the "audio" button, the old name of the computer shows up as a discoverable option together with the new computer name. Just to see if it would work, I tried sharing a photo with the old computer name via AirDrop but it just stalled out at "Sending".

Why does the old computer name show up alongside the new one? How do I delete it completely?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 4:54 PM

If the machine was prepared correctly for selling that shouldn't have happened. Make a backup of the drive and follow the instructions in this Apple document: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support.  When you boot the MBA the first time select the option to migrate your user account over from the backup you've made.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2020 4:54 PM in response to Moviegoer

If the machine was prepared correctly for selling that shouldn't have happened. Make a backup of the drive and follow the instructions in this Apple document: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support.  When you boot the MBA the first time select the option to migrate your user account over from the backup you've made.

2020 MacBook, used: Old MacBook name shows up on AirDrop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.