Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer photos from one mac to another

I am trying to transfer photos from an old mac (2011) to a new mac (2019). The old mac photo library was problematic, so I started afresh on the new mac and have transferred some photos already by exporting from the old library to an external hard drive and then importing them on the new computer. While it has largely been working fine, some photos are not exporting successfully and some are exporting with the wrong date. I bought a thunderbolt cable to connect them, but that doesn't fit the 2011 computer. Does anyone have another suggestion for transfer that won't have the errors? Thanks

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 4:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 10:29 AM

Are you running iPhoto on the old Mac? If so here's what I would do;

1 - on the old Mac launch the iPhoto library with the Option+Command keys held down

and

a. Repair Permissions

b. Rebuild Database

c. Rebuild Thumbnails

This will require 3 launches, one for each repair.

2 - copy the repaired library to the Pictures folder on the new Mac.

3 - open the repaired library with Photos and let it migrate.

4 - compare the iPhoto library to the new migrated Photos library to verify that all the items were migrated successfully.

This will give you all of the organizational effort that you put into the iPhoto library along with all of the IPTC metadata, titles, keywords, descriptions, etc.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2020 10:29 AM in response to KG0247

Are you running iPhoto on the old Mac? If so here's what I would do;

1 - on the old Mac launch the iPhoto library with the Option+Command keys held down

and

a. Repair Permissions

b. Rebuild Database

c. Rebuild Thumbnails

This will require 3 launches, one for each repair.

2 - copy the repaired library to the Pictures folder on the new Mac.

3 - open the repaired library with Photos and let it migrate.

4 - compare the iPhoto library to the new migrated Photos library to verify that all the items were migrated successfully.

This will give you all of the organizational effort that you put into the iPhoto library along with all of the IPTC metadata, titles, keywords, descriptions, etc.

Transfer photos from one mac to another

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.