Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Attaching photos to an email

I just updated my iPad to IOS14. I have always been able to send phots as attachments, it imbedds them into the email and I can not save them on my pc. How do you attach photos to my iPad email after the upgrade?

iPad Air, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2020 1:10 AM

The behaviour that you describe is equally a function of how the receiving email client handles the email.

If the Windows PC Mail Client doesn’t show the embedded picture as an attachment, a simple right-click with the mouse should provide an option to save the image to a path/filename of your choosing.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2020 1:10 AM in response to maija1956

The behaviour that you describe is equally a function of how the receiving email client handles the email.

If the Windows PC Mail Client doesn’t show the embedded picture as an attachment, a simple right-click with the mouse should provide an option to save the image to a path/filename of your choosing.

Sep 24, 2020 12:19 PM in response to Signtist

There is no change to the way that you attach a photo to an email from iOS 13 to iOS 14. Photos have always been embedded in the emails if you are using the built in iOS mail app.

Tap and hold down in the body of the email and select Insert Photo or Video from the black options bar that pops up.

Oct 5, 2020 12:56 AM in response to Demo

The way to add photos to emails is the same, yes, but the outcome is not the same anymore. The recipient does not receive photos as separate jpeg files but photos are embedded to the email so that you cannot save them anymore to a PC. They are viewable like in a preview but cannot be saved. If you right click your mouse over the photo, there is no possibility to save the picture, nor is there a "save attachment" option. This is very annoying and should be fixed asap.

Oct 5, 2020 3:42 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for your suggestion. I found a "save as picture" when clicking the image first and then the right side of the mouse. However, it does not show anymore the original file name of the picture. You have to invent one when saving the picture. Also, you have to save each photo separately which is time consuming instead of saving all attachments (photos) at one go with their original file names. I don't know why this changed after I upgraded my phone to iOS14.

Oct 8, 2020 12:22 PM in response to Signtist

I'm having this issue too but on my iPhone. Prior to the update to iOS 14, I could email myself and others multiple images as attachments. After the update, images are no longer received as attachments but rather embedded in the body of the email. This is very annoying as I use this heavily for my work, constantly taking images of product, pallets, damaged cartons and emailing to myself or others. Although someone on here is stating that it shouldn't have changed...clearly it did and it's not on the email client side since the only variable that changed was the iOS update. Nothing else changed, email client or otherwise.

Attaching photos to an email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.