Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to manually add device serial numbers in Apple Business Manager since iOS 14 released

We have a mixture of DEP and non-DEP devices split across two different MDM servers, as we are migrating to Intune. All the DEP devices have been migrated to Intune MDM. We now need to move the non-DEP devices to Intune, but cannot manually add the serial numbers into DEP, as the option is no longer available.

I can confirm that the new licences for IOS 14 (released on 16.09.2020) have been agreed to in our ABM, but not until 21.09.2020.

Would this time delay have removed the option to add device serial numbers , even though it has been agreed to?

How do I get 'Device Assignments' reactivated in my ABM to add device serial numbers manually?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 3:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 1:32 PM

There are only 2 officially supported methods for adding a device to Apple Business Manager/Apple School Manager. Option one is the Device Enrollment Program, where you get a reseller's ID and give them yours to sync things. This is automatic. Option 2 is only for iOS/iPadOS/tvOS devices. This option uses Apple Configurator 2.

https://support.apple.com/lt-lt/guide/apple-business-manager/apd200a54d59/web

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2020 1:32 PM in response to LPGB-ABM

There are only 2 officially supported methods for adding a device to Apple Business Manager/Apple School Manager. Option one is the Device Enrollment Program, where you get a reseller's ID and give them yours to sync things. This is automatic. Option 2 is only for iOS/iPadOS/tvOS devices. This option uses Apple Configurator 2.

https://support.apple.com/lt-lt/guide/apple-business-manager/apd200a54d59/web

Unable to manually add device serial numbers in Apple Business Manager since iOS 14 released

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.