Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external monitor not working after 10.15.6 (and 10.15.7) update

so like many others my external monitors are not working with a (external, not apples own) dongle after the catalina 10.15.6 and 10.15.7 update. Someone said that it would be fixed in 10.15.7 but that do not seem like the case...

when i plug-in the screen directly with a usb-c cable it works, but is not the hub that is faulty because it worked just fine before the update..

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 7:53 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Oct 1, 2020 3:15 PM in response to gwstiles

I talked to Kensington technical support yesterday. They suggested that I try an "Active" adapter and it worked!

I was using a VGA to DisplayPort adapter and it wasn't working. I switched to a DVI cable with an "Active" DVI to DisplayPort adapter and it works.

I have not upgraded to OS 10.15.7 yet, I'm still using 10.15.6.

I've been through a nightmare with this issue and I can't believe it came down to an adapter. Also hard to believe that with all of the calls to Apple Support, visit to Apple certified repair shop, Kensington support, etc., no body suggests this until yesterday.

Oct 6, 2020 9:19 AM in response to zejton

Oh my goodness... I spent so much time trying to figure this out... I kept getting this flashing of the screen, as if the port was powering on and off. Very strange. Here's my work-around:

1) Make sure the monitors are powered off

2) Wake up or turn on your macbook

3) Turn the monitors on, starting with whatever one is primary

4) If that doesn't work, then turn off the monitors and turn them back on

I do hope they fix this in the next release! It's super annoying.

external monitor not working after 10.15.6 (and 10.15.7) update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.