Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

created users are not appearing in Users or Login

I just rebuilt a Macbook Air with Mojave and updated it. I then created another account for student use (standar). However, after I created the account, it doesn't appear in the list of users. I thought this was a fluke thing -- perhaps I canceled the creation -- and tried creating the account again. I got a red message saying that the account name was already in use. I rebooted the Mac and was only created with the local admin account. I logged in and went back to System Preferences > Users & Groups. No other account. So I wiped the computer and reinstalled Mojave again (after erasing the disk with Disk Utility) and tried the process again. This time, however, I created another admin account -- same results as described above. Any clue on how to fix this? I'm stumped. I've been a certified Mac Pro since 10.9 and have never encountered this before.

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 1:02 PM

Boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  If it does try creating another user account, reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2020 1:02 PM in response to gillespiejack

Boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  If it does try creating another user account, reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

created users are not appearing in Users or Login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.