Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues after installing update to Mojave 10.14.6 (18G6032)

Since this update to Mojave (18G6032) my iMac 2017 has ‘lost the plot’. It’s been 3 hours of rebooting, waiting 5 to 10 minutes for the finder to load and then nothing else loads. Preferences won’t open anything. Sleep, restart, logout and login all produce the same long delay in the finder loading. I disconnected Time Machine drive and a secondary monitor so that now the only peripherals attached (via Bluetooth) are keyboard and mouse. Even starting in Safe Mode took 15 minutes. But even in Safe Mode I wait 2 or 3 minutes after selecting anything for the command to execute.

Now in Safe Mode, various Preferences will open. That’s a start.

I’ve never seen anything like it. Anyone have suggestions for what could be going on here?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 11:20 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Sep 26, 2020 3:50 AM in response to Sander Eric

Sander Eric,

Have you backed up your documents and important files on a Flash Drive or other removable media?

If so, you might consider booting up in Recovery Mode (see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314) and then manually reinstalling your documents and other important files. Unfortunately, you run the risk of losing any saved Keychain Passwords, Safari passwords, etc., unless you have been using iCloud storage for these files.

I suppose the only remaining option is to hope that Apple recognizes that there is something about this last Security Update that created problems for some users, and issues a corrected version of this update.

Sep 26, 2020 4:28 PM in response to William Tomcanin

I tried ”Restore from Time Machine Backup” and saw a considerable improvement on speed. However, no Apple or 3rd party apps were restored and I was left with “?” across my dock, and nothing in the “Applications” or “Utilities” folders. I couldn’t open “About this Mac” or “System Preferences.”

Returned to my Apple support ticket started yesterday, and they suggested “Reinstall MacOS”. It took me back to Mojave 10.14.6 from September 2019 (2019-005). However immediately it wanted to install 2020-05 Security Update and Safari update. I did not allow the Security update based on reviewing comments from this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/security-update-2020-005.2256677/ But I manually downloaded 2020-03 and updated. https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2045

The “Applications” and “Utilities” folders and Apple apps were restored. Apple support suggested that running Migration Assistant might restore 3rd party apps but only if reinstalled MacOS version, including security update version, is a match or newer than the Time Machine backup. Attempted to run Migration Assistant, but it failed both times I tried.

Situation now is that the response time for most actions is still slow but not as bad as with 2020-05. I have to reinstall 3rd party apps because TM restore does not include support for automatically restoring them. Two days lost.

Praying Apple engineers can get on this a.s.a.p.

Sep 26, 2020 12:58 AM in response to GospelofJohn14v6

I had a similar experience.

I installed the update and immediately my 21.5" (late 2013) iMac became unusable (beach balling on every mouse click; my Time Machine backup disk showed NO backups had been made; EtreCheck showed MAJOR issues; etc., etc.)

I spent several hours running Apple H/W diagnostics, booted into Recovery Mode and ran Disk Utility on both my Macintosh HD and Time Machine backup disks;. No H/W errors or disk errors were reported.

I then used Recovery Mode to reinstall my last Time Machine backup image just before I installed the last Security Update, and now everything is operating normally again.

I have NO third party S/W installed on my iMac -- I have no idea why this particular update "bricked" my system.

Sep 26, 2020 4:16 AM in response to William Tomcanin

Thank you for the reply William.

Unfortunately I don't have my files backed up. I was just in the process of migrating important files to a new MBP from this iMac (on Mojave) which is having the problems after the security update.

Booting in safe mode works but is also mostly not workable.

Will I be able to apply the update in safe mode if Apple releases a corrected version of this update?

With kind regards,

Sander Eric

Sep 30, 2020 11:58 AM in response to Moonlight Mac

Hi Moonlight Mac,

The computer still fails to behave. My macOS 10.14.6 reports to be on build 18G5033. I keep refusing the 2020-005 update.

My fans and CPU usage go nuts for hours after restarting. They have finally calmed down today after about 3 hours.

I had to reinstall, Pages, Numbers and 3rd party apps, after the OS and TM reinstall. This included Chrome. On attempting to open Chrome after re-installation, I was presented with the merciless rainbow wheel followed by a status bar with the 'security' house image and a "Verifying "Chrome..." message. And so it also goes for every document I open, I get the "Verifying "file name" message, even when it is opening in native apps like Preview and Numbers. Sometimes the wait for the "Verify" to complete is 60 plus seconds.

Not only that, when attempting to open a Numbers or Pages document directly through Finder, the preview window spinner spins for a while, then the merciless rainbow wheel spins and then after 90 seconds I'm told the file does not exist. I thought I had circumvented this error when it first occurred after reinstalling Numbers and Pages a couple of days ago. But the bug has reappeared. My fix was to create a new 'test' Numbers (or Pages) document and save it to the root directory where the 'non-existant' file was located. After that I could open the 'non-existent' file.

This time, after receiving the 'non-existent' file error, I tried opening Numbers and then Opening the document from within Numbers, which worked. So I closed the document and tested reopening the document from Finder (with Numbers open in the background). What appeared? The "Verifying "document.numbers"" status window before the file would open. And yes, this was the same document that had been open seconds before.

There must be some very serious security issues that have been detected within a wide range of file types and sources for this heavy handed crackdown on verifying every document and app that is opened.

Issues after installing update to Mojave 10.14.6 (18G6032)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.