Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to add a man page to /usr/share/man

On Catalina, how can I add a man page to /usr/share/man (or other manpage location searched in the path). I was able to install the executable in /usr/local/bin but trying to install the man page I get "Read-only file system".

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210650

As a work-around I can do $ man ~/pathto/theapplication.man but this is not ideal.

Google didn't help, I'm not on linux. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 11:02 AM

7 replies

Sep 25, 2020 11:29 AM in response to aoc_theotherone

In either ~/.bash_profile, or ~/.zshrc (depending on your shell), add the following line to pick up the following man page locations:

/usr/local/share/man

/usr/share/man

export MANPATH="/usr/local/share/man:/usr/share/man:$MANPATH"

and then from the Terminal command line, apply either of the specific dot files (without brackets) per your current shell:

source [ ~/.bash_profile | ~/.zshrc ]

A man page in the current directory can be viewed as:

man ./htop.1

Sep 25, 2020 11:31 AM in response to aoc_theotherone

aoc_theotherone wrote:

I was able to install the executable in /usr/local/bin but trying to install the man page I get "Read-only file system".

How did you do that? Normally, when building an open source package like this, you would provide a “prefix” such as /usr/local and everything would be automatically installed there. That is actually the default install prefix for most such tools.

Sep 25, 2020 12:07 PM in response to VikingOSX

As I understand MacOS, your answer is all wrong. /usr/share/man is already in my manpath, and your proposal would break it. We are not supposed to set the MANPATH in the shell. MacOS uses a different mechanism.

$ echo ${MANPATH}

# returns nothing, i.e. not set

$ manpath

/usr/local/man:etc.:etc.

I'm not asking how to add /usr/share/man to manpath. I'm asking how to copy a file into a subfoldet there, which MacOS is not letting me.

Sep 25, 2020 12:19 PM in response to etresoft

The package came with *.h, *.c, Makefile, and theapplication.man. There was no configure or install step. I did:

$ make -f Makefile

$ sudo -i

$ mkdir /usr/local/bin

$ cp ./theapplication /usr/local/bin

This works fine for all users. I checked permissions and they are all proper. /usr/local/bin is already in the path. It's the next one that failed with "Read-only file system":

$ cp ./theapplication.man /usr/share/man/man1

N.B. /usr/share/man is already in the MacOS manpath (but not in the MANPATH environment variable).

how to add a man page to /usr/share/man

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.