Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone and WiFi “privacy warning”

What does it mean and what should you do when you CAN connect but it says “privacy warning” under the WiFi name.

I have an iPhone XR and try his is a new warning to me.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2020 11:34 AM

Hello Peppercorn7245!

We see you are having some trouble with seeing a "Privacy warning" listed under your Wi-Fi network on your iPhone. We are happy to help! That message means the network can see your iPhone's direct MAC address and it is not being masked. You can fix that by going to Settings > Wi-Fi > Tap the "i" icon next to the network > Enable Private Address. Then reconnect to the network and see if that message appears again.

This article has more information: Use private Wi-Fi addresses in iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and watchOS 7

Let us know if you are having any issues with your internet connection on your device. For instance, are you able to connect to Wi-Fi but unable to access the internet?

Or if you are able to connect to Wi-Fi but you are unable to see the Wi-Fi iconic the status bar of your device?

Please make sure that your Wi-Fi network is configured to be WPA2-AES or WPA3 per Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

We hope that helps! Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2020 11:34 AM in response to Peppercorn7245

Hello Peppercorn7245!

We see you are having some trouble with seeing a "Privacy warning" listed under your Wi-Fi network on your iPhone. We are happy to help! That message means the network can see your iPhone's direct MAC address and it is not being masked. You can fix that by going to Settings > Wi-Fi > Tap the "i" icon next to the network > Enable Private Address. Then reconnect to the network and see if that message appears again.

This article has more information: Use private Wi-Fi addresses in iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and watchOS 7

Let us know if you are having any issues with your internet connection on your device. For instance, are you able to connect to Wi-Fi but unable to access the internet?

Or if you are able to connect to Wi-Fi but you are unable to see the Wi-Fi iconic the status bar of your device?

Please make sure that your Wi-Fi network is configured to be WPA2-AES or WPA3 per Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

We hope that helps! Take care.

iPhone and WiFi “privacy warning”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.