Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm trying to recover files from my old Mac Mini that was backed up on Time Machine.

I have a new iMac, and used Migration Assistant to move data between the old and new machines. The Assistant stopped before completion (somehow, the process erased the WiFi settings in the Mac Mini, and Assistant was using the WiFi connection).

In any case, I found many of the photos did not transfer, so I want to transfer them from backup - Time Machine.

Alas, the example doesn't seem to be working on my iMac. I open Time Machine, and the multiple windows are there, with the timeline on the right side of the screen, and the up/down arrows, but none of the restore functionality is working. The only working button is "Cancel".

I have confirmed the backup disks are connected, as I can search them using Finder.

What is needed to make the restore function work, please ?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 1:32 PM

Select something different in the Sidebar of the Finder window in the Time Machine display.

I you have something selected that doesn't have any backups, you won't be able to go back in time.

If the time machine interface doesn't give you what you need, you can always just browse the Backup folders in the Finder and copy the items you need from there to your new Mac.

Just try not to delete or move things around in the backup.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2020 1:32 PM in response to joesmoe3

Select something different in the Sidebar of the Finder window in the Time Machine display.

I you have something selected that doesn't have any backups, you won't be able to go back in time.

If the time machine interface doesn't give you what you need, you can always just browse the Backup folders in the Finder and copy the items you need from there to your new Mac.

Just try not to delete or move things around in the backup.

I'm trying to recover files from my old Mac Mini that was backed up on Time Machine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.