Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When migrating from an old to new iMac using Migration Asst, the apps all moved but the data I put in some did not. Where is the missing data

When migrating from an old to new iMac using Migration Asst, the apps all moved but the data I put in some did not. Where is the missing data

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 4:24 PM

15 replies

Sep 28, 2020 4:45 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for the comment on possible differences in moving apps with data. So far as I have checked, not a single app that was carrying data that I entered has carried the data over to the newer iMac. Some of these include Devonthink, Devonnote, Scrivener, Macjournal, and Bookpedia. I probably have and use too many apps. But if the apps have been moved without the data, where do find the data to move? Is it even possible at this stage?

Sep 28, 2020 6:03 PM in response to William Mcewen

Migration Assistant is an application, which has the user-friendly interface, designed to set up new Mac system and transfer all required data from the old one. By using mentioned application, you may face the issue with “overwriting”, when new files are being overwritten with the same name.

Best regard.

พื้นอีพ็อกซี่

Sep 28, 2020 6:31 PM in response to BDAqua

Basically, I expected to continue using the apps that i was using on the earlier iMac. Devonthink, for example, contained all my passwords to these apps. On Scrivener I had entered data that had been on a large stack of 4x5 cards from a study of a Mexican community. I just wanted to pick up on the new iMac where I had left off on the old. I have performed this migrations before, but this is the first time I have encountered this "missing data" problem. I too have wondered if the data could be in the OS Library, but have no idea how to explore that possibility.

Oct 1, 2020 2:50 PM in response to William Mcewen

Would it be possible to copy the several apps with data, copying them from the old drive to a thumb drive and then moving the apps from the thumb drive to the new iMac? Would that ensure that the data in those apps would still be there but now on the new drive. Incidentally, the OS on the old iMac is 10.13; the OS on the new iMac is 10.14.

Oct 2, 2020 1:17 AM in response to William Mcewen

Hey there! Can you say what OS both Mac’s are running? And also if you left all the default options checked at the start of the migration?

Also was it done through a cable, the network, from a backup of the old Mac, or directly from the old Mac?

Sometimes, I know permissions get messed up as well when migrating to a new Mac that already has a user set up with the same username.

I know only the one User shows up in System Preferences > Users and Groups, but what shows in Finder > /Users/?

Thanks! Whatever the answers, Hope it works out!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.