Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 14 update failed

After installing Safari 14 update on my 2012 Macbook Pro running the latest macOS, whenever I launch Safari, no window is opened. I was able to click around in the tool bar, but no matter what I clicked, no window appeared.

I checked the Safari version in Applications, and it said 13.1.3. But during the Safari 14 update, I did not see any error message. Thus I believe somehow the Safari 14 update failed. Lastly, I reinstalled macOS Catalina through recovery mode, but the version of Safari was still stuck at 13.1.3. How can I fix this Safari issue?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 5:31 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 3, 2020 11:34 AM in response to yhwang0216

Hello yhwang0216,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

We understand from your post that you are unable to open a Safari window on your Mac. We recommend testing the issue while your Mac is in safe mode.  The following articles have the steps you will need to test the issue in safe mode:

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

"Safe mode prevents your Mac from loading certain software as it starts up, including login items, system extensions not required by macOS, and fonts not installed by macOS. It also does a basic check of your startup disk, similar to using First Aid in Disk Utility. And it deletes some system caches, including font caches and the kernel cache, which are automatically created again as needed."

Best Regards. 

Oct 3, 2020 12:43 PM in response to Alwayswantingtohelp1

Hi there,

Thanks for your feedback. I tried to launch Safari in safe mode and observed the same symptoms. Additionally, I used First Aid in Disk Utility to repair all available disk partitions. But currently I am still seeing the same issue. Safari in Applications still shows version 13.1.3. Please show me how to remove the corrupted Safari and re-install Safari 13.1.3 instead of Safari 14.

I saw in online forums that Apple released an update for Mojave users regarding Safari 14 issues. Please also consider doing the same for Catalina users. Thank you.

Safari 14 update failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.