Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

got ths message

What id this I have class tonight and i doint need this

Legacy system extensions and the apps that rely on them continue to work today. But now is a good time to contact the developer to learn whether an updated version of their software is available or planned. The developer can also explain how to remove or

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 8:12 AM

Don’t need this tonight? Dismiss the message, then. The app will fail with Big Sur (macOS 11), the next release.

About legacy system extensions - Apple Support

The sketchy apps that sometimes get installed (adware, some sketchy add-on “security” apps, malware, etc), can obfuscate that and variously don’t make that identification easy, while the legitimate apps can or will be upgraded and will remove the use of extensions.

The Learn More button might show more about the app, but yes, you csn be left to determine what loaded the extension.

I’m here assuming this is Catalina (10.15) and not High Sierra (10.13).

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2020 8:12 AM in response to tyree224

Don’t need this tonight? Dismiss the message, then. The app will fail with Big Sur (macOS 11), the next release.

About legacy system extensions - Apple Support

The sketchy apps that sometimes get installed (adware, some sketchy add-on “security” apps, malware, etc), can obfuscate that and variously don’t make that identification easy, while the legitimate apps can or will be upgraded and will remove the use of extensions.

The Learn More button might show more about the app, but yes, you csn be left to determine what loaded the extension.

I’m here assuming this is Catalina (10.15) and not High Sierra (10.13).

Sep 27, 2020 10:33 AM in response to tyree224

I think Apple did a very poor job of explaining this. But hopefully they handle it better once it happens.

You should always wait a few iterations of a new OS to get the bugs worked out, that's likely a year from now!

No need to worry, but to see them, just don't upgrade to 10.16 or iOSXi, or whatever Big Sur is if the developers don't have updates...

About this Mac>System Report>Software>Extensions, click on Obtained from Header, all that aren't Apple are Legacy.

got ths message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.