Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac using a lot of RAM after recent software update

Hi,

I have a Mac OS on Mojave v10.14.6, 15.4" mid-2015. 16 GB RAM until this morning working well.

After updating this morning the software (typical software updates required), my Mac is using 10GB of RAM, even with all my user applications closed. I have tried restarting the machine, no change, still using at least 10GB of RAM. I looked at the Activity monitor and there is no application using GBs of data. Any idea of what's going on and how can I sixths issue?

Thanks!

Ciro

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 9:09 AM

9 replies

Sep 27, 2020 9:30 AM in response to ciro242

ciro242 wrote:

Hi,

I have a Mac OS on Mojave v10.14.6, 15.4" mid-2015. 16 GB RAM until this morning working well.

After updating this morning the software (typical software updates required), my Mac is using 10GB of RAM, even with all my user applications closed. I have tried restarting the machine, no change, still using at least 10GB of RAM. I looked at the Activity monitor and there is no application using GBs of data. Any idea of what's going on and how can I sixths issue?

Thanks!
Ciro

There is no need to micro manage your RAM— not since 2013 El Capitan introduced "Compressed Memory"

OS X 10.9 Mavericks: The Ars Technica Review | Ars Technica

Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

If you are having a related issue, than state what those issues are.

Sep 27, 2020 9:48 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Hi, I need RAM for my work application. If 10-12GB out of 16GB are used it means I cannot fully operate my machine for my working purposes. Until this morning - before the update - it had max 6 GB used without applications and I could work properly. Now I am limited. I am almost certain something went wrong with the recent security update of Apple but I have no idea how to fix this.

Sep 27, 2020 9:49 AM in response to ciro242

The OS will clear used RAM and allocate the RAM you need for your app. This is by design and is very efficient. RAM is occupied by what the OS predicts will be needed so response time is very fast when what is needed is already available in RAM. The next time you run your app the RAM may already contain what is needed by that app. RAM is very fast and responds immediately to what is needed. Empty RAM is of no value.

Sep 27, 2020 9:49 AM in response to leroydouglas

Hi, I also need RAM for my work applications. If 10-12GB out of 16GB are used it means I cannot fully operate my machine for my working purposes. Until this morning - before the update - it had max 6 GB used without applications and I could work properly using additional 8-10 GB for my work, internet browsers, etc. Now I am limited. I am almost certain something went wrong with the recent security update of Apple but I have no idea how to fix this.

Oct 10, 2020 8:23 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

I was limited. Luckily, Apple figured it out and released a software updated that I enabled this morning, a few hours ago, and the issue was fixed. Now I have much more free memory and my laptop is clearly faster, the temperature fan runs less frequently and I can open more processes than before without the pc lagging as it was before. I am glad Apple took care of it.

Mac using a lot of RAM after recent software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.