Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Use Paypal for Apple ID

Hi,

I've been trying to add my Paypal account as my payment method for my Apple ID, but whenever I try to make a purchase through the App Store or iTunes I keep getting the error message: "Unable to complete this transaction at this time. Try again later or contact Apple Support for more information." I've been trying for several months, but keep getting the same error message.

I spoke with an Apple Support Senior Advisor, and they say that the transaction is being declined through Paypal and they recommend contacting Paypal. I contacted Paypal, and they assured me that everything is fine with my account and they are not declining any transactions. My Paypal account is indeed working as I can make other purchases with it that are not through the App Store or iTunes.

I contacted Apple Support again, and was told to contact my bank about why the transaction is being declined. I contacted my bank and they say they are not declining any transactions either.

Since my Paypal account is working fine for other purchases, the issue must be on Apple's end. There are two things I know of that could potentially be causing the issue. One, my phone is a Japanese model, meaning is was meant for sale is Japan. Paypal is not a supported Apple ID payment method in Japan, so this could be one issue. Second, I'm under 18 in an Apple Family Sharing group, but not sure if this affects any payments.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks,

Henry

iPhone 7, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 7:30 PM

I just read you initial post again and the problem is you are in Family Sharing. In Family Sharing, only the organizer's payment method can be used. You can't add a payment method to your account.

You can buy/redeem iTunes Gift cards to the account. Charges will be deducted from the account balance before the organizer's credit card is charged.

App Store & iTunes Gift Cards by Email.     

Gift cards redeem.    

Gift Card - can’t redeem.    

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2020 7:30 PM in response to hjwamdam

I just read you initial post again and the problem is you are in Family Sharing. In Family Sharing, only the organizer's payment method can be used. You can't add a payment method to your account.

You can buy/redeem iTunes Gift cards to the account. Charges will be deducted from the account balance before the organizer's credit card is charged.

App Store & iTunes Gift Cards by Email.     

Gift cards redeem.    

Gift Card - can’t redeem.    

Sep 28, 2020 5:44 AM in response to hjwamdam

You are welcome.

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

If you want to, you can send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem or a suggestion for change. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem/suggested change solved sooner.

Click here to send Feedback     

Sep 28, 2020 12:54 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you! You resolved an issue I've been having for months. I left my family sharing group temporarily to add money to my account and it works. I wish Apple allows payment methods other than the organizer's payment method to be used in Family Sharing in the future, and wish the error message would mention Family Sharing as the problem, but am so glad you helped me figure out the problem. Thanks Eric Root!

Unable to Use Paypal for Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.