Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

activation lock

I bought this ipad. was going well then it locked from find my iphone can't get into contact with seller so need to unlock

iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 5:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 5:56 PM

I echo Z's curiosity, but regardless ...

For you to not have ongoing problems with your iPad going forward, the device needs to be completely "expunged" of the previous owner, and then setup for you and your own Apple ID.

The old owner needs to do the following:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

You'll know when it's REALLY ready for you when you turn it on and it says, "Set up your iPad"

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2020 5:56 PM in response to Joseph2855

I echo Z's curiosity, but regardless ...

For you to not have ongoing problems with your iPad going forward, the device needs to be completely "expunged" of the previous owner, and then setup for you and your own Apple ID.

The old owner needs to do the following:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

You'll know when it's REALLY ready for you when you turn it on and it says, "Set up your iPad"

Sep 27, 2020 5:52 PM in response to Joseph2855

Activation Lock is a theft deterrent. It wouldn’t be a deterrent if it were readily bypassed.

You’ll need the Apple ID and password holding the lock, or the oriignal purchase receipt and matching ID and a discussion directly with Apple. As those are likely not options here, ask for a refund, assuming the seller hasn’t disappeared, and the seller can’t themselves recover their password.

This device is useless to you, otherwise.

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a used iPad/iPhone - Apple Community

Chat with the police if that is an option for you, but you’ll likely end up recycling this.

activation lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.