Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Out of Media Storage error; Apple deliberately limits media to less than storage total?

I made the mistake of updating to a point-oh OS version, 7..0 on my Apple Watch 5, and shortly afterward, went to the gym. And I was not able to listen to the playlist I wanted.

When I got home, I dug into the Music section of the Apple Watch app and found this big honking message that I'd never seen before:

Out of Media Storage

The storage space dedicated to media on your Apple Watch is full. To make space available, you can remove some podcasts, music, or audiobooks.

Well, I have no podcaxsts or audiobooks, only music, from my music library. And even getting all the music from my library that I wanted on my Apple Watch had always been problematic because I rip my music from CDs as Apple Lossless to have the highest quality, but I neither want nor need files that big on my Apple Watch, not when I bought a wireless version 3 just to get the 16GB of storage, nor when the storage was expanded to 32GB in newer versions.

Why do I want music on my Watch? So I can go to the gym or elsewhere for workouts and not need my phone. I can listen directly from my Watch to my headphones. Easy peasy, right?

Nope. In the past, to get all the music I wanted, several playlists that are a subset of my library, I'd synch my iPhone with the setting in iTunes to copy then as 128 bps files. Then I'd add the playlists to my Watch and wait for the slooooooooow sync (because Bluetooth data transfer is achingly slow). Once I got all my music on my Watch, I'd de-delect that option in iTunes, re-synch my iPhone, and get the lossless versions on my iPhone. Well now, for some reason, I only have a couple of my playlists on my Watch. The rest have a but yellow exclamation point in a circle.

I'd always had all that music on my Watch, all that I wanted anyway--at least until I did the update to WatchOS 7.0.

A hard reset of my Apple Watch didn't resolve this error. The various data said I had 8GB or music on my Watch, which was only 296 songs, and 16.3GB free. No other apps took any significant space.

So last week, I spent a good 2 hours in chat with Apple Support. We did the reset thing. We did the re-pairing thing. Nothing worked. And the tech finally found an internal memo that said Apple deliberately limits media storage to 8GB.

What? Why?

That is undoubtedly a boneheadedly stupid decision, one that needs a clear explanation. Quite simply, there is no technical reason why such a limit would exist. Some might assert that it's deceptive to advertise "32GB" of storage in a device where you can only use 8GB.

But wait, it's worse?

As anyone who has had the misfortune to install a point-oh version of an OS, you anxiously await the first point-one release. Which is now installed on my Watch. Did that make the error go away? Nope. It had the opposite effect!

I now have 194 songs on my Watch that use 4GB of space.

I have 20.4GB "available."

"Available" for what, I do not know. Not "available" for what I want to use it for. I mean, I recently bought a new MBP to replace my 2013 and got a 2TB SSD. Among the files I expect will take some of that space over time are movie files that I download from iTunes, er, the TV app, to take with me. Let me tell you , if you do not already know, files of HD movies are HUGE, especially if we're talking about movies such as The Lord of the Rings. Now imagine if I got a message when I was downloading several of my movies that I was limited to just 500GB on my storage. That's what we have here with the Watch.

I cannot find any posts here that address this, so here's one. Apple, what say you?

Apple Watch, watchOS 4

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 11:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2020 5:37 AM

I am having the exact same issue. I bought a Series 6 watch with 32GB of storage and I can not load my main playlist ... I have 13.6GB free and could easily fit it. There must be some sort of Media Storage Limit ... that is ridiculous.

Similar questions

34 replies

Oct 17, 2020 12:29 PM in response to MtrCtyJoe

Same response I got when I got the "Out of Media Storage" message and pinged support. Would be helpful if they at least gave us a reason as to why. Apple previously throttled iPhones to 'save battery', what's the reasoning with limiting our storage to how WE want to use it? I purchased the AW5 over the AW3 (without LTE) only because it had more storage so I can leave my phone behind when going on a long run and take all my music with me. Apple is really getting on my nerves with this type of $%&#@ of "they know best".

Oct 22, 2020 8:00 PM in response to twriter

So frustrating! 17.2 GB of dead space.

I e purchased all of my music through iTunes and yet I can’t load it on my watch.

This is not the way to “entice” me to subscribe to Apple Music. I feel like Apple is taking advantage of my decade long loyalty (iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, iPods. MacMini, Apple Watch). Maybe now is a good time to switch to Android Their devices do look intriguing . . . . .

M

Nov 2, 2020 4:14 PM in response to twriter

i'm having the same issue. i did recently have a lot more music on my Watch. For my morning workouts i had a decent list, but it stopped working. at first i thought it was because i just upgraded from an 11pro to a 12pro ( a pointless upgrade BTW) but i think its due to a recent update limiting my media storage on my watch.

Nov 10, 2020 9:19 AM in response to Abarylak

This has to be a bug. I noticed that by turning on "Recent Music", it populated 5 additional playlists onto my watch that I wasn't able to select manually. The app still says "Out of Media Storage", but I did luckily get the playlists i wanted via the "Recent Music" toggle. I'm now down to only 2.8Gb free on my device, but it ***** that i'm not able to control what music i can put onto the watch as much. Hopefully they fix it soon, I may upgrade my phone and watch app to see if anything changed.

Dec 15, 2020 7:34 AM in response to twriter

Looks like I am latest one suffering from this issue. Especially when apple is notorious to not allow any external chip to be added to their devices to extend the memory and will make you pay for higher memory. They are dictating how much of it you can use for which you have already paid for is ridiculous!

Only think I am not sure is whether this restriction has always been there or was introduced as subsequent patch.

Dec 28, 2020 1:57 PM in response to twriter

Same thing happened to me. Very frustrating. I use music when I work out and I don’t want to carry my phone when I am jogging. If this isn’t fixed, I will definitely look at other smart watches even if the other features are not as nice to use with iPhones. Listening to music is one of the most important features that I need on my watch. Hope they get it fixed.

Feb 13, 2021 7:01 PM in response to jpr1914

Same issue here but with the exception that I don’t even have 8GB of music stored. I’m at 5.3GB of music and it stopped syncing with this "Media storage full" message. I had a playlist that synced and deleted it to make space for one I listen to more often but it just deleted that playlist and did not sync up more music so I basically screwed myself up... this is absolutely ridiculous.

Out of Media Storage error; Apple deliberately limits media to less than storage total?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.