You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music stopped showing artist names

Hi,

I've updated macOS Catalina to 10.15.7 on my late 2013 iMac and found a peculiar thing in Apple Music. When I'm listening to a playlist, it no longer shows names of the artists, only song titles and albums. Here's the same playlist viewed on my iMac and iPhone (which shows the artists correctly):

I've tried running the Apple Music app in safe mode, and it still doesn't show the artists. Any idea on how to fix this issue? Would really appreciate some help, because I'm using this app all the time and it's really frustrating.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 28, 2020 7:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2020 12:55 PM

Maciek, I've been on a chat with Apple support about this very issue. They keep trying to insist that "this is expected behavior," when it very clearly isn't. The exact same playlist at music.apple.com shows the artist name, as do the iOS interfaces.

My support request has now moved to email, but I'll post here if I learn something! I'm pretty sure this is just plain buggy.

spud.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 28, 2020 12:55 PM in response to Maciek Lazowski

Maciek, I've been on a chat with Apple support about this very issue. They keep trying to insist that "this is expected behavior," when it very clearly isn't. The exact same playlist at music.apple.com shows the artist name, as do the iOS interfaces.

My support request has now moved to email, but I'll post here if I learn something! I'm pretty sure this is just plain buggy.

spud.

Sep 29, 2020 12:27 AM in response to a.h.s. boy

Thank you for your response. I thought I was the only one, as I couldn't find anything else on this issue online. During the update my Mac froze and I had to turn it off and on and I thought that might have something to do with it. I'm a bit disappointed that Apple doesn't seem to consider this a problem, but hopefully some resolution will present itself. For the time being I'm seriously considering using Time Machine to revert the os to the state it was in before the update, as the issue is driving me mad.

Oct 12, 2020 6:55 AM in response to Maciek Lazowski

I've got the same issue. This seems to be a problem only in the Apple Music automagic playlists - all compilation albums in my library work fine and so do both static and smart playlists. Not sure if you've noticed this but the track length is also not showing up here (I'm seeing the same in my New Music Mix and others).

I've got Big Sur beta installed on another Mac and it's displaying both the artist and track duration as expected, it looks like it's some kind of odd UI glitch in Catalina.

Apple Music stopped showing artist names

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.