Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie for Mojave?

I won't upgrade my OS to Catalina because of compatibility issues with a bunch of my work software, but I can't download iMovie because the App Store only wants the latest OS. Is there any way around this, like somewhere I can download the Mojave version of iMovie? I was so excited to make my first project in iMovie, but now I am really frustated and disappointed. Help!

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 28, 2020 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2020 10:10 AM

Hi, DimpleStudios,

Yes, if you have or ever have had iMovie 10 on your Mac you can download the most current version of iMovie that Mojave will run:

Follow this procedure: To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. (You can skip that step if you had iMovie 10 at one time but perhaps deleted it.) Sign in to the app

store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2020 10:10 AM in response to DimpleStudios

Hi, DimpleStudios,

Yes, if you have or ever have had iMovie 10 on your Mac you can download the most current version of iMovie that Mojave will run:

Follow this procedure: To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. (You can skip that step if you had iMovie 10 at one time but perhaps deleted it.) Sign in to the app

store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Sep 29, 2020 3:52 PM in response to DimpleStudios

You unfortunately have entered into a no-man's land. You may not be able to get iMovie 10 without upgrading to Catalina. Perhaps you could create a boot disc for the sole purpose of housing Catalina. Then you could boot up with Catalina and still keep Mojave on your Mac. Not something I have tried, but I know others have created boot discs for similar purposes.

Try contacting Apple Support by clicking on the Contact Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum's screen, and navigating to a place where you can enter you phone number. The techs there may be able to help you.

-- Rich

Sep 29, 2020 4:29 PM in response to DimpleStudios

:) Somehow I think that there will be a way out of it. The upgrade to 64bit with Catalina has caused a lot of consternation for people who see their older apps disabled that they have used and relied upon. I'm running Mojave, myself.

For information purposes you might take a look at this link that explains how to create a Catalina boot drive:

https://www.macworld.com/article/3442597/how-to-create-a-bootable-macos-catalina-installer-drive.html

-- Rich

Oct 1, 2020 8:19 AM in response to DimpleStudios

" as there's no iMovie in the applications folder or indeed anywhere on the hard drive, so I can't do the procedure you recommended. "

This does not mean that you have never had iMovie 10 previously, as it may have been deleted . Rich said....(You can skip that step if you had iMovie 10 at one time but perhaps deleted it.)

Did you go into the App Store and look to see if iMovie is listed on your Purchases page ?

iMovie for Mojave?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.